Licked or ate candle wax!

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat licked on a scented candle and perhaps the wick, too. Damn roommate. I've done research and I've been monitoring her. She vomited shortly thereafter and urinated. She is eating and drinking. She has been using her box but appears to be straining a bit and had some diarrhea but also passed something of a different texture which could be the wax. My research is telling me that if she is eating and drinking and voiding she is good. I don't have the money for a $300 trip to vet and diagnostic testing. I would need to beg and borrow. Should I start now so we can get to the vet? It's Christmas time, people spend their money on gifts not animal healthcare subsidy for someone else's pet. I'm frantic!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hang in there!! Do you have a vet you could call and describe the situation? They may say to continue to monitor her...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF she is going to have problems, they should be evident within the next few hours, in which case you'll have to see a vet. However, she may continue to be just fine.

I tried to find some real information for you, and everything points to "watch your cat for signs of illness, and then if they appear, get to a vet." I was able to get the ASPCA's Pet Poison Control Hotline number for you, but PLEASE NOTE that the page I found said, "Consultation fee may apply," with no details about when or how much! ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How is she now? Since you used the word "licked" and not ate, I am guessing she didn't actually bite a chunk off of the candle? Did you take the poop and sift through it with your fingers (gloves, of course) to see how much she defecated of the candle? If she goes again, do so to see if any wax is still passing through her system. I also would think by now, if there were an issue you would see her vomiting, not drinking, and appearing generally lethargic. Did you call the vet and ask if there is anything you could give her that would be safe but might help her pass any of the candle that might be remaining? The thing is, you need to have an idea how much - that makes all the difference in the world.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. How is she now? Since you used the word "licked" and not ate, I am guessing she didn't actually bite a chunk off of the candle? Did you take the poop and sift through it with your fingers (gloves, of course) to see how much she defecated of the candle? If she goes again, do so to see if any wax is still passing through her system. I also would think by now, if there were an issue you would see her vomiting, not drinking, and appearing generally lethargic. Did you call the vet and ask if there is anything you could give her that would be safe but might help her pass any of the candle that might be remaining? The thing is, you need to have an idea how much - that makes all the difference in the world.
I'm thinking she's better. I don't feel comfortable saying she is 100% yet. I took vacation day from work today to "watch for illness" I don't exactly know how much she got because it is one of those candles in a big round glass. She's so tenacious! So I'm going to fear the worse. Vet assistant didn't mention any people med I could give, just watch for diarrhea, straining trying to pass urine, vomiting, lack of appetite.

She has diarrhea and maybe a strain in passing her bowels but urination seemed to flow freely. Appetite is good. no vomiting. Further investigation has me fearful she got into the candle more than once. OMG!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She has diarrhea and maybe a strain in passing her bowels... Further investigation has me fearful she got into the candle more than once. OMG!
Oh no, about getting into the candle more than once! Repeated diarrhea and straining to poop (not urine, IMO) is what you need to keep an eye on, that could be a sign of the candle wax causing a partial obstruction. However, the appetite still being good and no vomiting so far helps to paint a better picture. I don't know how often she poops, but a few more times of the same behavior would concern me. It will be followed by loss of appetite and possible vomiting if there is some sort of obstruction. Keep us posted. I am hoping to hear good things!

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She vomited earlier and I presume she passed urine shortly thereafter. This is how I discovered something was wrong...big messes and her vomiting.

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG. Diarrhea continues she cant even cover it.
No one is helping me. Not that they are supposed to. I knew no one would help. GIFTS. Christmas. She's got a sickly meow. ld have sex with the vet for him to help me. I know that doesn't make me sound respectable but I'm so desperate. My damn roommate....and me too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The FREE poison control hotline, though all they will likely tell you is to get the cat to a vet ASAP:

Kansas State University Veterinary Teaching Hospital 1-785-532-5679

The ASPCA hotline charges a $65 fee.

Can you call the vet and ask for advice? Even if the office is closed, the after hours voicemail message will have info on who to call for emergencies.

See if you can get assistance with the vet bills from one of these organizations:

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG. I thought I posted this...so I'm giving more of an update. My cat is good now. Because of the symptoms I ended up taking her to a vet hospital off hours. Thanks to every one who talked me through, giving valuable information. I found a friend who let me use their credit card. I am so thankful! The vet reported my cat had a very high fever. My cat received injection hydration and 2 weeks of medications. Had CBC which reported her white and red blood cells are doing what they need. Thanks again to everyone!