Lick Mat for cats?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anyone tried them? Do you have a review or even recommendations?

Our boys get Churu treats at night and are a 90% wet food diet. Could this be fun for them? They love their Catit slowfeeder (the tilted one but with the green silicone cover off) for treats.

Final question: does anyone feed their cat seeweed as a treat? I've seen this online frequently lately and would appreciate if anyone knows if there's specific kinds for cats, or they are eating human grade and what the purpose of this is.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes I've given my cat a lick may and she seems to like it. Since licking can release endorphins it can be a good activity for them :)

The only seaweed I've given is ProDen PlaqueOff powder for dental reasons. Seaweed does contain iodine though, so if your cat has thyroid issues, seaweed shouldn't be given. Otherwise, I'm guessing like unsalted nori?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they easy to clean? Does the silicon wear out and get micro bits mixed into the food? Does it dry wet food out more rapidly?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does dry the food out quicker as it has more surface area exposed to the air. I just do about 1 tbsp of wet food which is enough for my cat to eat in about 5 to 10 minutes of licking. I throw mine in the dishwasher, never had anything stay stuck. Mine are only about a year old and used weekly and haven't worn out yet so I'm not sure what the longevity will be!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of seaweed cat treats but a Google search comes up with some:

Dried seaweed meal may be used in dry and canned cat foods, in treats, and in things like pet dental toothpaste.

This article says fresh seaweed can be given to cats: Can Cats Eat Seaweed? Is Seaweed Safe For Cats? - CatTime Obviously only buy fresh organic seaweed, not packaged dried seaweed snacks or those that are dried but may contain other ingredients and are for soup making.

Cat grass would be a safer alternative to give to a cat. It's easy to grow at home in a pot. I just use a paper cup and poke a few holes in the bottom for drainage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've never heard of seaweed cat treats but a Google search comes up with some:

[/URL]
[/URL]

Dried seaweed meal may be used in dry and canned cat foods, in treats, and in things like pet dental toothpaste.

This article says fresh seaweed can be given to cats: Can Cats Eat Seaweed? Is Seaweed Safe For Cats? - CatTime Obviously only buy fresh organic seaweed, not packaged dried seaweed snacks or those that are dried but may contain other ingredients and are for soup making.

Cat grass would be a safer alternative to give to a cat. It's easy to grow at home in a pot. I just use a paper cup and poke a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
Thanks! They have catnip and catgrass that we grow fresh inside :) they really love plants.

I was watching videos of people using them on treat puzzles and such...but the cats snatch it up so fast! I didn't get a response on the video, so that's why I checked in here 😸

My little jerks will not eat freeze dried treats. I'm trying to find some healthier options than temptations...that they'll actually eat. They wouldn't touch Ziwi either.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does dry the food out quicker as it has more surface area exposed to the air. I just do about 1 tbsp of wet food which is enough for my cat to eat in about 5 to 10 minutes of licking. I throw mine in the dishwasher, never had anything stay stuck. Mine are only about a year old and used weekly and haven't worn out yet so I'm not sure what the longevity will be!
Great to know thanks! So something high-reward like a Churu would be great to serve on them.

corvidae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They're great enrichment, and also work quite well for slowing cats down if you have fast eaters like me! I've always just fed them their wet meals on the lick mats, but I think Churu would be a great idea since they're so high-reward, as you point out. If you're looking for mats, I'd suggest looking in the dog section as well as the cat one - the dog ones seem to come in more varieties and also sometimes be cheaper, but they, of course, work exactly the same.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: I tried seaweed treats with my cats. Nobel are one and wouldn't try another. Magnus was interested in exploring it, but Calcifer was sure I was trying to poison everyone...so he kept getting in between me and the other cats.

I will update once I try the lick mats!