Libby scratching couch and curtains

edie56

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm taking care of a cat for one of our residents. My family owns a retirement home and one of our residents went to the hospital for rehab; he has a cat named Libby I'm taking care of her in my apartment. She is very loving and the only problem I have is she likes to use claws on my couch and my shear curtains. How do I teach her how to use the scratching post which sits next to the couch? She was given too much food she's is pretty chunky . She probably weighs almost fifteen pounds. she is kind of a big cat we don't know when or if the resident is coming back. if he doesn't come back Libby is mine so it's trial bases when I catch her scratching my couch I tell her no and she stops right away. should i just say no or say Libby no?

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try saying no, and is she interested in catnip? If so you could sprinkle some on the scratcher. Would claw caps help?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Double sided sticky tape will work well for your couch. Just place it on the areas she's attracted to. It feels nasty on their paws, and generally a few days of it is all that it takes. It may well work on the curtains, as well. It generally doesn't take more than a few days for a cat to figure out that this is no fun anymore, and go elsewhere (your scratching post, dabbed with catnip).