Purraise
I love that show...

If I had seen the one on yorkies I wouldnt have gotten Gigi but all is well

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Beckiboo

Meet the parents if possible, and do go to training classes.
Just a caution: In the purebred dog world, its highly unlikely you will meet both sire and dam at a reputable breeders establishment.
Actually, if an ad or breeder states that "both parents on premises", I would run the other way. This screams BYB.
Ethical breeders do it for the betterment of the breed and to breed two exceptional lines. The likelihood of them owning both the perfect stud and dam that simply go together is too unlikely and unheard of in the ethical breeder business. It usually means...Hey we had a boy dog and a girl dog..let's mate them.

Though, I agree that the dam should be friendly with good temperament and you should be able to meet and interact with her.

And of course, I highly agree on the training classes..for any dog

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I dread it when pet owners ask to see the queen and sire - my poor stud boy is BALD - his fur never grew back after being shaved. LOL!

Sarah, I've seen most of the breeds now. We just got Sky TV uninstalled yesterday. But I love it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all... thank you all so much for the replies and helpful info.

A week ago today, we acquired a poodle from a local rescue.
Funny, because a few months ago when we first started thinking about another dog, we thought a poodle might be a good idea but couldn't ever find one.

This little guy is 4-5 years old, is very well behaved and has great manners (so far). He's WONDERFUL with the cats. My cats had never even seen a dog before and the first night he walked in the house, he walked right past them as if they weren't even there. Now, a week later, he occasionally tries to play with them, but they aren't quite ready. Last night they were all sleeping by me on the couch, and the dog leaned over and put his head on Gracie, and she didn't mind! I'm so thrilled that part is working out.

When the rescue got him, his hair was all matted, so consequently, they had to shave it off. I'll post pictures as soon as it grows back a little.

Thanks again, you guys are great!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

What's his name?
That's the other funny part. His name is "Ed" LOL We thought about changing it slightly... Fred, Ted, Freddy, Eddy, etc. etc. Then we even considered changing it completely, but it's been a week, and now we are all kinda used to calling him Ed. When I took him to our vet for a check up, even she said "that's not a very cute name for a poodle". He is a toy apricot - although since his hair is shaved so short, he's pretty white, the apricot color is just starting to come through.

loveysmummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great news!! I am so happy for you...
Standard, mini or toy poodle?
Smart,funny dogs they are...and if you didn't already know a piece of cool trivia: Poodles are working, water dogs (Poodle comes from the German "Pudel" meaning water)...

Congrats again! and great that he came with manners already installed!

EDITED TO ADD: Oh I see he is an apricot toy now! So darling

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LOL "Ed" is a rather unusual name for a toy poodle! I would've just kept the name to though.
I second the pictures request!