Leukemia in a FELV+ Cat

morley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I am new here, I write from Sardinia, Italy and I am proud mom of a very big feline family since twenty year or so.
As you can imagine, I have thousand of stories to tell, but today I am looking for a little bit of ecouragement about my loved Robin, who since some weels he's fighting against acute linphatic Leukemia - FELV Inducted.
Since two weeks he's following a chemiotherapic protocol (CHOP) - sorry for the poor spelling hope you understand. Yesterday emochromo showed a decreased number of white blood cells (and that's a good thing) but a very low red cell (less than 1ML). A very bad anemia. He looks very tired, since yesterday he's eating a very very little food, and just if I feed him, but I don't want to give up... so I am here to ask for help, prayers and advices.
He's also taking Cerenia and Metazide for loss of appetite, having flebo for fluids, taking nutriplus and VMP paste, and is also under cortisone and wide range antibiotics.
Please share with me your experience. Have you ever had similar experience? How did you managed to feed your cat?
I dont' want him to live a bad life. But I want him to live.
Thank you!!!
morley

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, how old is he? If he is older, over a year, chances are he is fighting it and will continue to do so. I have one cat with confirmed FeLV and his mother and brother who the vet stated were most likely to have it too. I do not separate them, there are newer studies out that say it is not casually passed on, and I wouldn't anyway, it would cause more stress. They will be 8 and 9 yeras old this year.
My boy was SO sick, the vet said his blood cells were almost zero and he didn't know how he was living. He had lost over half his body weight and had reoccurring illnesses in the past. He predicted he would be dead in days and recommended euthanizing him. I didn't, brought him home and he is doing fine almost three years later! I treat them all every morning with VetriScience DMG to build up their immune systems and Pet Wellbeing LifeGold, a supplement for cancers. He, too, refuses to eat, but almost always takes a few licks a couple of times a day of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors. I give their meds in this too. I always keep it around just in case. In almost three years he has only been really sick once and slightly sick once. Both times he quit eating (except for a tiny amount of treat) and loses a lot of weight, and it lasts ten days to two weeks. He was also VERY tired and hid under the bed almost continuously. He did use the litter box, the sweet angel, but rarely because he had no input.
So DON'T give up! Older cats can fight this, and if you can keep him going with a couple of licks of anything, they DO build up more white/red blood cells as long as their bone marrow isn't compromised. They build up all-new cells every thirty days or so, just like us. I highly recommend these treats, not because of their healthiness, (I'm sure some will say not) but because cats love them and they can keep them alive. I just use them when he is sick and divide a packet into three parts for their meds every day. so please try some of these lickable treats, there are different brands and kinds too.
I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers, I pray you the best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

morley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear,
your answer fills my heart with hope. I've just ended to give him a little can of a vellutate cream for kitten. He ate almost everything. But he looks so tired. Sometimes it's like he's find it harder to breath. I gave him also a Nutriplus spoon, and I'll go in a little while to the vet for some fluids.
Was your cat as tired as Robin? He got just one million red cells, the Vets says he's probably regenerating but will he have enough time?
I hope it so. You know, he has acute linphatic leukemia - aside from FELV - and meds to fight leukemia are mielosoppressive. So bone marrow in a way is compromised.
Thank you from the deep of my heart for your words for which I am extremely grateful.
Take care.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, my boy was extremely lethargic, he slept all day and night. He was too tired to put his tongue in his mouth. And the vet said he was going to die in days. He is still here! I am grateful for every minute. You know, you just have to keep fighting and know you are doing all you can by being there and loving him. If he is eating, even a little that is good. Mine maybe only had three licks of food in a day for days. The hydration should help too. Cats are tough, remember that......

morley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've been truly blessed. I know Robin is fighting hard but I am afraid is anemia is growing faster and faster. He's a little jaundice (icterus). Sometimes he breaths fast and noisly.
My vet say we are already doing all we can do... I can only hope and pray therapy could finally produce some effects...

morley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help and prayers, Robin passed away tonight at 2 AM

IMG_20180716_223634_784.jpg

💔

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry. I pray you can find comfort in knowing you gave him his everything. My heart cries for your pain. God help you through these horrible times......
Please, when you are ready, post a tribute to this wonderful boy on our Crossing the Bridge site. RIP precious Robin......

morley

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll do it. Thank you all.