Leukemia and Non Leukemia Cats together??

alleycat94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for some advice...

So my boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years and are looking at moving in together when my lease ends. Right now, he has two cats that are not leukemia positive and continually get their vaccines on time. He has an appointment in about 2 weeks for follow up shots and we will ask the vet's opinion before moving forward...

BUT I have a very cute kitten that is leukemia positive. My vet has tested him twice, once when he was a kitten and once again now that he's about a year old. We would like to live with everyone happy and healthy and can't believe that we're the first to have this problem. My cat has it passively - he's a carrier but does not show any symptoms of the disease and my vet says he will live a normal life. We think he was born with it, as he was a stray. Neither of us are in a position to give up our fur babies but we don't want to put our relationship on hold.

That being said, I've read some conflicting things. First and foremost, I know the vaccine is only 85% effective which is moderately concerning. On the other hand, I have also read that most cats that have the vaccine and are adult cats (his are 2 and 4) are pretty much immune to the disease. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally would not have leukemia positive cats and negative cats together. I know that isn't what you want to hear but I wouldn't. FIV is different, cats that get along would be fine together because it isn't as easily transmitted.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People do it with their negative cats being vaccinated against it. It is a risk but I guess it depends on the circumstances and how well they get along together. If they are cats who like to groom each other that is going to be an even bigger risk.