Leucillin?

PLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of my cats has F.O.R.L. and 3 weeks ago had a canine tooth removed + stitches. He’s impossible to medicate and is very timid, so we avoid trips to the Vet as much as possible.
We gave up trying to administer painkillers as he was so traumatised and they didn’t seem to agree with him anyway.
The woman who runs the pet shop suggested spraying his gums with Leucillin but, having read the instructions, I’m not at all sure if this would be a good idea.

Any suggestions please?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS! :wave3: Second, our cat also had a canine removed sometime ago and later more teeth due to FORL. If I remember correctly he took Buprenex for pain and it did help him. Our cat is difficult to medicate as well so I prefer liquid meds. I find it much easier for me to administer and him to tolerate. After looking up Leucillin and reading that it's a cleaning aid for minor cuts and abrasions primarily used for first aid I would be apprehensive to use it in place of what your vet prescribed. Can you call your vet and discuss whether the Leucillin is alright to substitute as a painkiller? Otherwise, ask for alternative suggestions such as in this TCS Article about tips to medicate your cat: Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – TheCatSite Articles

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any painkiller that you can find that he will tolerate, try to either get it in liquid or crushable pill form. Then, add it to a small amount of the one of the following mediums and see if he will take the meds that way.
1.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give him a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
2.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft, Squeeze Ups, Catit - just to name a few
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse (which is complete meal, not a treat)
I try to avoid - at all costs - giving Feeby meds that require holding her or using an oral syringe, or any other method of trying to put meds directly in her mouth. I have been successful with all of the above when having to give Feeby meds. She has to take thyroid meds, twice a day, and so far so good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PLC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you neely and FeebysOwner.
We’ve tried all manner of different yummy foods to hide tablets in, to no avail. He just doesn’t like anything and views everything with suspicion.
The liquid painkiller we tried was also fairly impossible to squirt in his mouth successfully and he became increasingly stressed out, so we gave up entirely.
The last Vet who looked at him, gave us 2 Gabapentin capsules to try.
We have to use a quarter of the contents of one capsule, sprinkled on his food.
No way will he go anywhere near it!

I’ve not heard of the cat mousse, so will definitely investigate.