Let's Talk Mops

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the market for a new mop. I've been using the spray mops with the washable microfiber heads, but they keep breaking on me in one way or another- my most recent one decided that it was no longer going to spray the liquid out of the spray portion.

I've been looking into a spin mop, like a O-Cedar or a Hurricane mop. If anyone has any experience with these, please let me know! Or other recommendations. We have laminate and vinyl tile throughout the house.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look into the Rubbermaid spray mops. With covid, we just got the "industrial/heavy duty" one at work, and it's fantastic..I want to get one for my house next time I need to replace the one I have. The one we have at work is pretty expensive but looking online they do have lesser expensive ones for "light duty".
1594050291564.png

The picture you see here is similar to the one at work...it goes for over 200$ (Canadian)

But this one....
1594050371135.png

Goes for just over 50$ Canadian.

As for durability, my coworker who used to run a daycare - so lots of mopping - has had hers for about 10 years with no problems.

It's made of aluminum instead of plastic (at least the one at work is) and it's a refillable reservoir for cleaning solution so you can use whatever cleaning product you want.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I either use a wrung out cloth and my foot to wash the floor or a wrung out fleece cover on my Swiffer. The Swiffer work well and cleans evenly. I pull off the cover a few times and rinse it while mopping so that I am not just smearing dirt around. You can get wet cloths for a Swiffer but I don’t think they hold up well to scrubbing dirty spots and tend to smear around dirt.

However I wash I usually follow up with a towel dry by dragging it around with my feet.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I either use a wrung out cloth and my foot to wash the floor or a wrung out fleece cover on my Swiffer. The Swiffer work well and cleans evenly. I pull off the cover a few times and rinse it while mopping so that I am not just smearing dirt around. You can get wet cloths for a Swiffer but I don’t think they hold up well to scrubbing dirty spots and tend to smear around dirt.

However I wash I usually follow up with a towel dry by dragging it around with my feet.
I do the cloth and foot myself. Great leg exercise too.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a steam mop from Eureka. I noticed right away that the girls would eat food they’d dropped on the floor. Before that I was using a swiffer wet jet and they wouldn’t.

I do have to stop to refill and let it heat again to do my whole house. But its not really a hassle. That only takes a few minutes. And its much easier than filling a bucket!

I’ve used my foot and a cloth diaper to mop In between too. Like when one of my kids had spilled juice and tracked it without cleaning up well. 🙄 I bought them as burp cloths when my kids were babies. They make great dust cloths too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a steam mop from Eureka. I noticed right away that the girls would eat food they’d dropped on the floor. Before that I was using a swiffer wet jet and they wouldn’t.

I do have to stop to refill and let it heat again to do my whole house. But its not really a hassle. That only takes a few minutes. And its much easier than filling a bucket!

I’ve used my foot and a cloth diaper to mop In between too. Like when one of my kids had spilled juice and tracked it without cleaning up well. 🙄 I bought them as burp cloths when my kids were babies. They make great dust cloths too.
I steam mop at my moms because stuff has been on the floor for days and it loosens it up well. But I have stop and change the mop pad because it gets so dirty and changing a steamy pad isn’t easy without burning your fingers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise

I unfortunately can't use steam mops on my floors! I wish I could. I like the sanitizing aspect of them, especially with all the covid stuff going on. I use a half vinegar/half warm water/hearty squirt of original Dawn on my floors at the moment. It's streak free, gets ride of footprints anand pawprints, and the vinegar makes me feel a little better, although I don't think it's as sanitizing as I'd like to think.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I unfortunately can't use steam mops on my floors! I wish I could. I like the sanitizing aspect of them, especially with all the covid stuff going on. I use a half vinegar/half warm water/hearty squirt of original Dawn on my floors at the moment. It's streak free, gets ride of footprints anand pawprints, and the vinegar makes me feel a little better, although I don't think it's as sanitizing as I'd like to think.
We are looking at getting rid of our carpet and I can't decide on what kind of flooring I want. Wood is preferable for looks; but for the cleaning/moisture factor I just don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
We are looking at getting rid of our carpet and I can't decide on what kind of flooring I want. Wood is preferable for looks; but for the cleaning/moisture factor I just don't know.
The flooring in our house was replaced by the previous owners before we moved in. We have laminate throughout the living room, hallway, and master bedroom (the other two bedrooms have carpet...grr...it's a sore spot for me to this day) and linoleum in the two bathrooms. We just redid our kitchen floors with luxury vinyl tile and it looks amazing! We are eventually going to redo our bathroom floors in vinyl tile, as well.

For flooring throughout your house, I would go with laminate or engineered hardwood ($$$). The laminate that the previous owners put down is NICE- we wouldn't be able to afford the same stuff if we redid the floors. I love the way hardwood looks, but the upkeep is stressful (especially with kids and/or paws and claws on them), and you have to strip and refinish them from time to time. The flooring we have now has some wear to it, but they are still very much "like-new" three years into us and the three cats. I also wouldn't be able to use my vinegar solution on hardwood flooring, which would upset me because it's cheap and easy to make.

It all depends on your budget and what you want aesthetically.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The flooring in our house was replaced by the previous owners before we moved in. We have laminate throughout the living room, hallway, and master bedroom (the other two bedrooms have carpet...grr...it's a sore spot for me to this day) and linoleum in the two bathrooms. We just redid our kitchen floors with luxury vinyl tile and it looks amazing! We are eventually going to redo our bathroom floors in vinyl tile, as well.

For flooring throughout your house, I would go with laminate or engineered hardwood ($$$). The laminate that the previous owners put down is NICE- we wouldn't be able to afford the same stuff if we redid the floors. I love the way hardwood looks, but the upkeep is stressful (especially with kids and/or paws and claws on them), and you have to strip and refinish them from time to time. The flooring we have now has some wear to it, but they are still very much "like-new" three years into us and the three cats. I also wouldn't be able to use my vinegar solution on hardwood flooring, which would upset me because it's cheap and easy to make.

It all depends on your budget and what you want aesthetically.
My foyer has some kind of vinyl plank. I'm not crazy about it. Some look like wood some look like fake wood; this is very smooth so leaning toward the faker look but it's fine in a small room like that.. The builder chose it so I don't know what quality it is. There is one small damaged seam where Noodles had an accident that went undetected. Right now I have light gray carpet in the dining room, living room, and connecting hall that runs in front of the laundry room. We've been here for 11 years and the linoleum/sheet vinyl the builder put in the kitchen, bathrooms and laundry room still look great! But this gray carpet...between kids and cats... You can imagine. Who would want light carpet in a dining area anyway? :disappointed: DH and I were just starting to look last winter when covid hit the states so it went on hold. I picked up some samples from Lowes. DH likes the engineered and bamboo that I picked out. I definitely want something better in front of the laundry room. There is an odd angle between the kitchen and dining room so there is no way I want to do this ourselves. I'm hoping when we do get it done; we just hire a contractor that knows what is good and what isn't worth it. One guy I went to high school with does flooring and I still keep in touch with his wife via Facebook; so maybe they will be able to do it. It's daunting to make the choices!