Let's Talk About Anything Other Than COVID19

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the title of the book? I am glad they are waving fines.

I have always wanted to grow pumpkins. I have no idea why, but it has been a life-long failure. I have gotten a few blooms and one tiny pumpkin that died before it turned orange. It was no bigger than a tennis ball. I have flower beds around my house and a wildflower patch out towards the edge of our property that grows well enough. I also have been successful with a black raspberry bush. Pumpkins, though, are a mystery to me no matter how many books I read or directions I follow. I even had the soil tested. :(

I was unreasonably mad when I heard about the scam! That was the year that I went with my (mush disliked, now ex) mother-in-law from Ohio to Missouri to help a friend. Every cursed meal we ate was from McDonald's because she thought her chances of winning were better if she went to a bunch of McDonald's. We were gone for six days. Six days of nothing but McDonald's two to three times a day, and it was all a scam!
I tried pumpkins a few years back and had maybe a dozen growing. Just at the point they started turning color some blasted creature started eating them. If there was a single bite taken the whole pumpkin withered. Didn’t have a single one make it through.

Yes, I ate many McD meals to get my monopoly tickets. But it sure is six hours of fascinating TV.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried pumpkins a few years back and had maybe a dozen growing. Just at the point they started turning color some blasted creature started eating them. If there was a single bite taken the whole pumpkin withered. Didn’t have a single one make it through.

Yes, I ate many McD meals to get my monopoly tickets. But it sure is six hours of fascinating TV.
I would say I am glad that I am not the only pumpkin impaired person, but, considering how your hopes were dashed, I will not. Last year, I decided not to plant any, but a plant started randomly growing in my driveway gravel near the retaining wall. It bloomed just to taunt me. I am sure it laughed as it withered away! Haha!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A reminder if you are looking for entertainment, you can check out audio books, regular books and magazines to read or listen to online for free if your library participates in the RBDigital lending library. There are also a coupleother online lending libraries that your library might participate in as well.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This will be my first by her and I;m looking forward to it!
I particularly like "Murder in Mesopotamia" from her Poirot series. There is a tv series of the Poirot series with David Suchet that is simply wonderful. His portrayal of Poirot is perfect, and his version of "Murder on the Orient Express" is by far my favorite. Amazon a "The Pale Horse" miniseries or movie available. I keep wondering if I should watch it, especially now that it has been officially released.

Another spectacular one is "And Then There Were None."

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I particularly like "Murder in Mesopotamia" from her Poirot series. There is a tv series of the Poirot series with David Suchet that is simply wonderful. His portrayal of Poirot is perfect, and his version of "Murder on the Orient Express" is by far my favorite. Amazon a "The Pale Horse" miniseries or movie available. I keep wondering if I should watch it, especially now that it has been officially released.

Another spectacular one is "And Then There Were None."
I grew up on Agatha Christie! There are still many I haven't read, have been thinking to start reading them again. Loved "And then There Were None." Library is closed till further notice due to "it who shall not be named" but I'm going to see if the online books are available.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
"it who shall not be named"
HA!!!! I have the hard copy of The Pale Horse but I also have the Ebook on reserved from the library and I am 3rd on the list.

It was on BBC about a month ago and that is how I became interested in it. V verna davies watched it so I looked it up on their website but at that point in time it wasn't available.here. I like books and movies about that subject matter. Reminds me of The Wicker Man.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Graceful-Lily Graceful-Lily I love that comic! I used to subscribe to it on my Diaspora.

I like software. Does anybody else here like software? If so, there's a really funny "article" on Sudo Satirical dot com about a man who replaced his own mother with systemd. I'm not going to post a direct link and it's okay if you like systemd, I just thought the satirical piece was funny.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also like gardening. Is anybody else growing anything new this year? Last year was the first year I could legally grow something that is very fun to grow so this year is the first year I am growing potatoes.

It has never been illegal to grow potatoes, to the best of my knowledge, it just didn't used to be something that normal people would even think about doing.

I got my seed potatoes at Winco's, but if you ever have any organic potatoes or any potatoes at all that start to sprout before you get around to cooking them, you can just use those instead.

I'm really excited about my potatoes.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A reminder if you are looking for entertainment, you can check out audio books, regular books and magazines to read or listen to online for free if your library participates in the RBDigital lending library. There are also a coupleother online lending libraries that your library might participate in as well.
There are also libraries where you can check out books for free that we can't tell you about if you don't live in the United States. It's nothing personal, just the way the internet works right now, so if you don't live in the United States and somebody who does ever says "You can't do that." or "You have to use Amazon/Google/Microsoft/Apple" it might be because we just don't know or else that we aren't allowed to tell you on forum boards but we are allowed to tell you on private emails, IRC, the telephone, a smartphone app, carrier pigeon, and I think you get my point. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really excited about my potatoes.
My father-in-law grew them and they were amazing! He grew up on a farm in Italy and knew to grow, On weekends,
he would go to garden and get a few fresh ones and make fried potatoes with onions, I can still remember how wonderful
they were.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My father-in-law grew them and they were amazing! He grew up on a farm in Italy and knew to grow, On weekends,
he would go to garden and get a few fresh ones and make fried potatoes with onions, I can still remember how wonderful
they were.
Oh yes Mia6 Mia6 . One of the best memories of my Sicilian grandfather was him frying potatoes and onions for us to eat after midnight mass in Christmas. It wasn’t a complicated recipe but no one could make them better than him.

Joan M

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I grew up on Agatha Christie! There are still many I haven't read, have been thinking to start reading them again. Loved "And then There Were None." Library is closed till further notice due to "it who shall not be named" but I'm going to see if the online books are available.
I love Agatha Christie. She's one of my all-time favorite authors. I am pretty sure I have every single paperback book of hers, I always look in 2nd hand bookstores and I ran out of new titles years ago!

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
W Willow's Mom I guess I have talented friends. I can think of at least two who grow potatoes, by the bucket full. I often joke that I do not cultivate a vegetable garden. Rather, I cultivate friends with vegetable gardens. One of the two women I mentioned grows not merely potatoes but also sweet potatoes. Raises artichokes from seed with enough of a head start that they do flower the same growing season so she can pick the buds to eat. And that's here in New Jersey.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to grow Sweet Potatoes! I thought about doing it with my son, because my mom let me have a sweet potato when I was a kid and I poked toothpicks in it the same way we do with avocados (I still have my son's. He put toothpicks in it for Waldorfy preschool and now it's this great big huge tree in a pot that my landlord probably doesn't even allow.) and it grew into this really neat little viny kid houseplant thing.

My great-great-grandfather came over during Black '47 and I'm a history buff who used to do something about something in the education field in my prime. I guess that's why I actually typed the sentence "I'm really excited about my potatoes." into a text box, clicked on the "post reply" button, and really didn't care if I became the next "Ermegerd meme lady", lol.

I really AM excited about my potatoes.

My great-aunt lived in New Jersey and rumour has it, the whole family got together to keep her house when she died and one of her granddaughters is the property manager. She had what we called "Aunt Betsy's back yard" and you would call "a hobby farm" or "a Mom & Pop", so the property manager ain't no slacker.

It's a wonderful area to grow things. I hope your friends get to grow more kinds of fun flower in the future. I've literally never tasted a homegrown potato, but I was absolutely thrilled to find that stupice tomatoes WILL grow in Humboldt because the red things at the store that we have to call "tomatoes" are yucky and nasty and I won't eat them and you and mommy and daddy and Teacher can't make me, so there.