Let's Talk About Anything Other Than COVID19

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a good idea, do you start it in a pot?

I borrowed Fast Times at Ridgemont High from the library. Can't wait to watch it as it is one of my favorite comedies. Sean Penn, sooo hilarious! I also own Wedding Crashers, another one that cracks me up! I just watched Pretty in Pink a few weeks ago but I could watch it again.
I have some milkweed plants, and saw a few Monarchs last summer. I ordered some more seeds, and collected some seeds from my plants last fall- they have been cold stratifying in my fridge for the winter and this weekend I plan to plant them indoors in little pots and transplant when it's time. I captured a Monarch caterpillar last summer and raised him in an enclosure on my patio. He lived and turned into a butterfly! It was so amazing to watch. It was a male, and one that migrated to Mexico. You can tell the migrators and sex by their wings.
Just a beautiful thing to watch. So I'm planting more nectar plants too. I won't raise many caterpillars, just one to watch it. I'll mostly give them food.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Liquid wrench or WD 40 on the shut off valve and a big wrench might work to turn the cold water off. I am not good with things with two many mechanical parts but I think there are washers that go bad. If you have to I suppose you could shut the water off to the whole house, take the faucet apart and bring it into a hardware store for advice and replacement parts. Good luck!

Thank you for the tips!- very helpful. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Uck. I hate working on any sort of plumbing. Is the valve stuck open? I agree that you should turn it off at the source just to be safe. What kind of faucet is it? Is it leaking at the handle? I hope you get it sorted soon!

When we moved into our house, we had a lot to do. There was a leak under the sink that had gone on so long that it rotted the floor. I had climbed under to take a look to see what needed to be done and put my hand through the --mushy🤮--floor and into the basement. The plumbing was a mess in general and after four years of dealing with a double sink that would constantly back up, more leaks than I can count, and a kind-of gross faucet that never seemed to get clean, I finally put in a nice single sink, some new plumbing, and new faucet.

Thank you for helping me. No, its not leaking at the handle, it's leaking from the facet. The valve underneath the sink just won't turn, or turn much, in either direction. The hot water valve turns but not the cold water one. I hate the thought of turning off all of the water, but if I have to then I will do it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping me. No, its not leaking at the handle, it's leaking from the facet. The valve underneath the sink just won't turn, or turn much, in either direction. The hot water valve turns but not the cold water one. I hate the thought of turning off all of the water, but if I have to then I will do it.
You could take a picture of the faucet and take it into a home improvement store like Lowe’s to see if someone with plumber expertise can guess at the problem. They might also give you hints on unstucking the shut off valve.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried WD40 or PB Blaster and tapping the knob going both ways with a wrench several times between sprays? With any luck, your leak is just a washer issue.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried WD40 or PB Blaster and tapping the knob going both ways with a wrench several times between sprays? With any luck, your leak is just a washer issue.
I've used Liquid Wrench and taps, and letting it sit for a long time on this very type of knob and it did finally work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
It is free HBO weekend on Xfinity cable and I am watching a fascinating documentary of the McDonalds Monopoly scam.
I had no idea about a scam, I'll have to look that up Maybe my cable company has Free HBO

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My helper took back several books that were due from the Library on Friday. This morning I received an email from the Library Director saying it would be closed till I'm not sure when because of what's going on. There was one book I had really wanted to read and was disappointed that I had to return it. Well, I found it on the floor just now!! He also said all fines would be forgiven.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am dying to get out and plant my vegetable garden, but it is just a tad early for that yet. I have been starting things indoors so I can be ready when the soil warms sufficiently. Right now I need to groom all the pets - dogs and cats! Most of the cats will be shaved down and bathed. I will probably just not shave Jack or Sterling. I don't like doing it but with gardening season about to get into full swing and also having my husband ill, I don't have a lot of time to comb cats. I am reading at night when I go to bed to get the news out of my head. I have a great book, written by Cokie Roberts about the women behind the men of the American Revolution.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was one book I had really wanted to read and was disappointed that I had to return it. Well, I found it on the floor just now!!
What is the title of the book? I am glad they are waving fines.

I am dying to get out and plant my vegetable garden, but it is just a tad early for that yet. I have been starting things indoors so I can be ready when the soil warms sufficiently
I have always wanted to grow pumpkins. I have no idea why, but it has been a life-long failure. I have gotten a few blooms and one tiny pumpkin that died before it turned orange. It was no bigger than a tennis ball. I have flower beds around my house and a wildflower patch out towards the edge of our property that grows well enough. I also have been successful with a black raspberry bush. Pumpkins, though, are a mystery to me no matter how many books I read or directions I follow. I even had the soil tested. :(

It is free HBO weekend on Xfinity cable and I am watching a fascinating documentary of the McDonalds Monopoly scam
I was unreasonably mad when I heard about the scam! That was the year that I went with my (mush disliked, now ex) mother-in-law from Ohio to Missouri to help a friend. Every cursed meal we ate was from McDonald's because she thought her chances of winning were better if she went to a bunch of McDonald's. We were gone for six days. Six days of nothing but McDonald's two to three times a day, and it was all a scam!