Let’s hear it for Veterinarians!

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
OK OK, I know: a lot of times, we just wanna get in there and get out, and be at peace with our kitties again. But a lot of our vets -and their assistants- are hardworking heroes and heroines, or at least some of them are. Does anyone have a positive story to tell about their vet? I say this in part b/c right now there aren’t enough of them, many have huge debts, suffer from triple the rate of suicide due to stress and where I live there’s a three year wait and no affordable housing for them. So I appreciate a caring vet, and I know you do as well. Let’s hear it for the Good Ones! I personally am thankful for the vets who TALKED to my cat and who got to know his individual personality, as well as being on top of what he needed.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Overall, I am pleased with my vet, they run a cat friendly practice, always work Twyla in when needed, and treat me as a partner in my cats care. I have been using this vet for almost 20 years and don’t know what I’ll do when she retires. The vet techs are wonderful and kind. Everyone who works there is female, so no mansplaining!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It took me awhile, but I finally did find a good vet. It's not a 'good' profession in terms of where it stands in the hierarchy of professions. Just about any STEM heavy profession has both a higher income and is more respected by general society standards.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love my vet. He really cares about his clients, and many time starts with, "if it was my cat...." He has not charged me many times for euthanazia, especially with ferals or strays, or cats I bring in that got hit on the road. He has hugged me and cried with me.....He really talks with you, asking what you want after explaining his care plan. His daughter is now a vet and is practicing with him, a great duo!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love my vets office. There are 2 that I love best. For a while one of my high school classmates was also practicing there. When I had to come in with 2 little kids and 2 cat carriers the front office staff saw me coming and came out to help and then got us back to my car again. Both kids left with beanie babies once. And DS got quite attached to that beanie baby for a good year or two. :redheartpump:

You know you’ve been talking to them or seeing them too often when you answer your phone and the first thing she says (in a celebratory song voice) is “We have poopage!!” :party3::cheerleader::flail:After giving your cat yet another enema. Bless her. I mean really!! :lol:

One used to come do home visits before Covid. We were concerned about Noodles’ heart with how it stressed her to go in and having been in heart failure. When Noodles passed I had a nice chat with the other vet who cared for her at that time about her labs. Both always explain things and never seem bothered by my questions or decisions. So really I had peace knowing Noodles had been very very sick inside and we couldn’t have done anything and we didn’t miss anything.

I have never been pushed into anything either. They help me make informed decisions and work within my budget. We’ve now seen the one vet’s husband with Mooch too and he’s also good. But the 2 ladies are my preference because I’ve got years of experience with them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was fortunate enough back in the day to go to one of the first female cat only vets. She was one of only four women in her graduating class and founded what was to be the second exclusively feline veterinary practice in the United States. She was also an internationally respected researcher on feline hyperthyroid disorders, a pioneer for female vets and the personal physician to Morris the Cat–and his successors. She persevered for her dream to open her own feline clinic. She believed her cat practice would work and she more than proved it.

We met her when we adopted our second cat who became very ill several days later. Our vet at the time could not diagnose what was wrong and referred us to her. She opened up her clinic on New Year's Day to meet us and treat our boy. She gave him a transfusion from her own cat and took such good care of him that he survived. We owed her a world of gratitude. :heartshape:

catloverfromwayback

Servant to the Ofurlords
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many vets in my city; I've only used one practice, because it's a couple of minutes drive away, and the others are about twenty minutes or more. I've had no problem with any of the vets or nurses there - I only wish I could get to know them, because I never see the same person twice! The practice has three clinics and the staff are rostered between them (I don't envy them all that commuting).

Before that I used three vet practices for about thirty years, all very good - only one dud vet between the three of them. We got to know all of them very well. One of the vets at our first place bragged to his colleagues about being the only person who'd managed to pill Katie D! 🤣

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found my vet because my daughter's cat was a poorly boy. After his first appointment she figured out why he had had problems with his eye's immediately. He'd had multiple visits to a different vet. It's a cat friendly independent vet's. After I saw how she was with my daughter's cat I immediately changed my vet to her. She is great with the boy's and always looks out for my purse. I love the fact that she doesn't try to sell stuff not needed and told me to buy patches eye drops online because they'd be alot cheaper. The vet technicians are fantastic too. Bonus point Patches who hated vet visits actually cuddles her, I'm sure that lady wears the nip :lol:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Vet care is very expensive here in LA, but aside from that I have always felt that I was lucky enough to find great vets. I have stayed with two different practices and one specialty hospital when we have needed it and the care is always excellent. There is a huge shortage out here and the turn over of the young vets which the practices have hired has been very high. One practice is now closed two days a week, which was unheard of, and the other is closed one day due to a lack of staff. The closest smaller ER to me closed because there were no vets to be hired to keep it going. For a while, local vets took turns but as they got older or had more commitments with their own practices and were not able to work a 24 hour shift it floundered.

tiggerwillow

Meowmy to Tigger and (Queen) Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
All the vets at the practice I use have been brilliant, they do their best to put their feline patients and the owners at ease, even (Queen) Willow doesn't behave as badly as she did first time she went to that practice, she will still do worried nibbles when she gets scared but she no longer gets as defensive and nippy as she once did :heartshape:

She will still defend HER TEDDY against vets, but I think she'd do that no matter what vet was doing anything :redheartpump:

IzzysfureverMom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here I find most negative reviews are based on when a vet wants to do something like senior bloodwork. I literally had a issue with a vet not wanting to do bloodwork on a 10 year old cat ( they only do routine bloodwork at 13 1/2) they thought she 'looked fine'. Took her to another vet and fortunately they found a treatable issue. Vet care is expensive, but it is medical care. We are also fortunate to have a lot of veterinarians in the area
When our cat was diagnosed with asthma it was just not an office visit and x-ray but on going phone calls back and forth every week for awhile then every another week for a period of time, then three weeks, and finally a month. These phone calls were never rushed. They asked me questions and I had the ability to ask questions.Phone calls always ended with 'If you have any concerns or questions call us anytime' She is doing well because they took the time to really assess her situation week by week and to make adjustments in her treatment until we got to the point where her treatment is working really well.So yes she had bloodwork recently, then the office visit and x-ray. She then needed another x-ray to check lung condition.So expensive, but with a very good outcome.
I can also have open conversations on tests and treatments without an attitude. It is teamwork for what is best for the cats.
They also have good techs, one it particular is awesome!

Last edited: