Lethargic Kitten - Is this her food?

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted before about Dandy, our 6-mo.-old kitten. She used to always be lively but the last couple of weeks or so she's had days where she's done little else but go out to her bed and lay there.  I had thought we were overfeeding her, also thought she might be having an issue with one of her foods and we eliminated that food, but now I'm flummoxed.

I don't know if I'm feeding her too much or too little. When we last weighed her , she was 7.5 lb. We give her 1/4 c. dry Wellness kitten food at night and she usually eats most if not all of it.

Her daytime eating has been really odd.  One day there was less than 1/3 can of her Wellness Kitten food left and I gave it to her about 10 am, expecting to open another can since she'd still be hungry. Instead, she crawled in her bed and stayed until around dinnertime, when she ate again (I forget if we fed Wellness or a FF) and then she went back to bed. I've been seeing way too much of this behavior. Yesterday, I carried her into the living room and tried to play with her.  She looked interested but it was half-hearted and I just don't think she felt good.  She eventually went to the cat tree and stayed there. Most of her foods have chicken or turkey except a FF fish one.  Maybe it's a coincidence, but she's seemed better after the fish.  Is this likely?

I just bought a can of every alternate protein I could get at Petco (mostly Instinct), but do you think I should wait until I see the vet before messing with the food?  I'm not even sure what to tell the vet.  She seems hungry and is using the litterbox but this is seldom the kitten we had a couple of weeks ago. She ate half a can of FF Chicken this morning, the other half when we came home at 3 and wanted fed at about 5:30. Now she's been sleeping or sitting in bed for several hours (I didn't feed her at 5:30 and thought I would do it about 8).

Oh, yes.  I'd say on she eats close to 2 cans of food a day.  Is this enough or too much?  I know the Wellness is higher calorie than FF.  I don't think we're starving her yet she would eat more at times.  Do hungry animals go to sleep?  I hope to see the vet next week and rule out any health problems but there have been brief times when she seemed fine.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure this is a food-related issue. I've never heard of lethargy being associated with food allergies/intolerances. Usually you will see itchiness, vomiting, diarrhea, and it doesn't sound like you're seeing any of that. I think something else is going on. I would mention the lethargy first and then the inconsistent eating pattern second at the vet's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the input for the vet visit.  I expect it will cost a lot sin ce things are so vague but this has gone on awhile with many inactive days.

What about her food quantity? She would certainly eat more at each meal and this is a cat who used to leave some, esp. with the Hound & Gatos and even a bit of her Wellness wet although she'd always go back for it. Now it's all cleaned up.

Yesterday she had a can of FF Classic Chicken and then some icky sounding FF Seafood Feast. Today she is a little livelier but it's Wellness day and I bet she goes back to bed before it's over.

I don't understand why it would be food either. She does scratch some but it's dry in the house with winter and the heat going. She seems to groom quite a bit but there's no bald patches and my old cat didn't even seem to know she had a tail so I'm not sure I can tell "normal."

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is still a growing kitten, so the food quantities could be explained by metabolism spurts. The lethargy is concerning though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hounds and Gatos and Wellness both have more calories than Fancy Feast, so if you're feeding the same amount of food, she's not getting the same amount of calories.  But if she were still hungry, I would think she'd be letting you know

I think her lethargy is worrisome too.   Especially for a 6 month old kitten.  I know they require a LOT of sleep, but when they're awake, they're usually up to lots of mischief

I'd at least call my Vet and discuss this behavior with him, since it's a definite change

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today we had the first normal "kitten" day in quite awhile. She was pouncing, jumping, running, playing with some of her toys. We had a play session with one of the wand toys.  She's eaten almost 2 cans of the FF Turkey & Giblets and that's one we thought was an issue.  She also had a spoonful of Hound & Gatos Chicken after her 3 pm meal because she was fussing for it as we were taking the fresh can out to the other cat.  She wouldn't eat it most of the time before.

She's conked out on the cat tree now. She has a vet appointment tomorrow and it's tempting to cancel it but we've had so few days like this in the last 2 or 3 weeks.