Let the Adventures Begin

Newcatontheblock

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the last few months I had been thinking I wanted to add a cat to my life (full disclosure I am a cat newbie) researched a good bit about being a cat parent and stated buying the essentials. Well I kept an eye on the local shelters online, and after a while felt it was time to move from the screen to visits. I went to a few places. This past weekend I went to a local shelter and fell in love with two adult cats. I was there so long trying to decide that they told me the shelter was closing that I should go home and come back in the morning with my decision.

I talked it over with some friends, and I decided to get both. I thought maybe coming to a new home there would be less of the territorial issues, and thought they would get along since they both appeared to be timid cats. Also I work long hours, so this way they would have a friend. Now, I am the proud human to Little, 4 yrs old declawed (by prior owner) male DSH and Puff, 3 yrs old clawed female DMH.

I am so nervous being so new to this adventure, it is only day 3 and I find myself hyper aware/worried about Little being declawed and Puff not, and how much I should keep them separated. Little spent the entire first day scared in an opening between the kitchen counter I did not realize was big enough of for anything to go into lol but finally came out for food. I have two litter boxes and during room swaps Little was the first to use both.

I am just a newbie filled with so much worry that they will get along, that I am not being overboard with trying to make sure everything is going well, and reading into each hiss or movement. Tomorrow is my first day back at the office post adoption. Let the adventure begin! Sorry for the long post, but I look forward to being a member here! :)

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
ddfdf3aea4505a09a8773682249eaa7f.jpg
Newcatontheblock, Little and Puff, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
a46377e59d67d998304b4860c4348255.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting Little and Puff from the shelter and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home :clapcat: They are lovely! :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

Since you you are a new cat owner, do read the articles below to orientate yourself on taking care of a cat. Do post more photos of Little and Puff and we have a special thread here just for them in bi-color-kitties-only.85808 and black-cats-only.268663 and many fun threads here in fur-pictures-and-videos-only.29 to showcase what your kitties are up to.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
common-foods-that-are-harmful-to-cats.30181
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
first-aid-for-cats.22464
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
the-litterbox-what-every-cat-owner-needs-to-know.33457
how-to-choose-the-right-litterbox.32515

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site.

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: And congrats on being a new cat parent. :bouquet:

Were Little and Puff a bonded pair at the shelter? If not, you probably should, and it sounds like you are, keep them separate and slowly introduce them to each other.

Since this is the "welcome" forum, you might want to start a separate thread in the behaviour forum, if you have specific queries you'd like answered or tips on things in general, as some of the people who post there might not read this forum.

Here's a TCS article on How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles that may be helpful.

Good luck. Little and Puff at both gorgeous. Hope before too long they'll be best friends. :catlove:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:to you, Little and puff. Who are adorable by the way. :hearthrob::redheartpump:and congratulations on becoming a cat parent. Excellent advice and links have already been given so I'm sure they'll be buddies soon.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you, Little and Puff! Yes, by all means, go to the Behavior forum and post your introductions concerns. Also, you may have some issues with Little, as declawing often comes with its own set of issues. IF something were to crop up, the behavior forum is the place it address that. Much of it, we can help with if needed! Thank you for taking the time to consider this carefully, to read, to buy supplies ahead of time. You'd be shocked at those who do not!