Let Me Take A Shelfie

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't buy books because I don't like to own a lot of things, so the books I have are either gifts or ones I would actually use a lot (because I also rarely re-read books). Any of the novels on my bookshelf are ones I haven't read because I'm less likely to read a book if I don't have a deadline like I do when I get them from the library. :lol: The only exceptions to this are My Antonia and Waterlily, both of which I have read. There are a few anthologies on my shelves too that include some writing I've submitted and had published.

1607300288091.png

1607300308381.png

1607300325588.png

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My bookshelves are almost chaos; definitely not picture worthy at the moment. I have 3 tall ones in my foyer that aren't too bad; but DS's train table lives in front of them along with a bin of stuffed animals. The kid's main bookshelf is truly chaos. But hey they read em! The school fiction one isn't too bad either I guess. The one that houses our school stuff is controlled chaos. I have bins of school stuff on the floor in front of it. Maybe in daylight I'll think they look photo acceptable. :paperbag:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Here are my shelfies (I just love that word, BTW)
Here are some of my cookbooks....
Cookbooks.jpg

And here are the bookcases in the she shed....
The bookshelves behind the Tacky White Tree are all cookbooks. The rest of them, other than my DVDs, are all novels. I would be lost without books!
ShedBookcase.jpg

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were house hunting for the move to New Jersey from Connecticut lo these many years ago Himself saw one house that had a two story library, complete with a rolling ladder. The house was meh. I asked him what they wanted for just the library.

Books_1.jpg Books_2.jpg
These are gardening books in my study. When we moved here a friend came and stayed with us for several days and made them for me. Himself has (mostly) engineering books in his. There are three bookcases in the living room, one bookcase in the kitchen for cookbooks, three more bookcases on the lower landing of the stairs to the basement, a set of shelves at the bottom of the stairs for paperback science fiction. And oh yes, three more bookcases upstairs in the guest room.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we were house hunting for the move to New Jersey from Connecticut lo these many years ago Himself saw one house that had a two story library, complete with a rolling ladder. The house was meh. I asked him what they wanted for just the library.
I'm curious where the house was because many years ago we went house hunting in New Jersey with the possibilty of relocating there (we didn't), but one house stands out in my memory for the two story built in library. The house itself was in a wooded area.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
misty8723 misty8723 That was 25 years ago and my memories of houses we did NOT buy is poor. I remember snippets - that library room Himself told me about but never actually saw myself is definitely one.

The library had its book sale last weekend. While I did not attend (current goal is to create shelf space rather than add to the congestion) I did donate a respectable number of books. Set up a sorting station on the dining room table. Especially cleared out paperback sci-fi and fantasy from the shelves at the foot of the stairs outside the basement. Shelves no longer there and better than 300 paperback books went to the sale. Also hardcover books from shelves inside the basement and some from outside, maybe 70 or more. Had about 10 Chewy's cartons in my car - in the back, on the folded down rear seats, on the front passenger seat. The station for donations was very well set up - from the time I entered the county fairgrounds, people unloaded my car, I drove away - it took about 10 minutes.

I had previously been dropping off hardcover books at a second hand book store, which cleared the living room bookcases and those at the stairwell lower landing. I inherited the living room bookcases, which my father had designed and had made from Baltic oak that served as hatch covers on freighters, or at least that's what I remember.
Bookcases_2022-04_livingroom-two bookcases.jpg
These two are near the outside wall - you can see a piece of the sheer curtain on the left. To the right is the wood burning stove, and then the second matching smaller bookcase adjacent to the two steps down from the hallway which is open to the foyer. The basket under the little table is a cozy place for the cats, in winter. The striped towel is wrapped over a piece of silvery windshield sun shade, silver side up.

Bookcases_2022-04_livingroom-smaller bookcase.jpg

Himself designed and made the three bookcases on the lower staircase landing. Pine, back when lumber yards sold quality boards.They have a couple of possible configurations and fit so well here that you would think they were designed for the space.
Bookcases_2022-04_stairwell lower landing bookcases.jpg

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
misty8723 misty8723 That was 25 years ago and my memories of houses we did NOT buy is poor. I remember snippets - that library room Himself told me about but never actually saw myself is definitely one.
It was about 1992 when we were looking, the downstairs wall was a bookcase, two stories, with stairs behind it going up to the top floor. That's all I remember. That and it was very remote in a wooded area. The book shelves made an impression :lol:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The striped towel is wrapped over a piece of silvery windshield sun shade, silver side up.
Does the windshield sun shade wrapped in the towel hold your kitty's body heat and make her/him warm? If so I might make one of those!