Lesson Time - Ocicat vs Bengal

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Siggav, that's a great shot of the Bengal glitter. The first time I really saw Simba's glitter was one afternoon when the sun was shining in, through the window, and I saw all of those beautiful gold dust sparkles all over his coat. It just blew me away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Question - if the glitter did not come from the ALC, then which breed DID it come from. I've had people mentioned (on here) in some of Charlie's pictures if he had glitter. In reality I don't see it - he's shiny but don't see the glitter like on the Bengals.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Question - if the glitter did not come from the ALC, then which breed DID it come from.
From what I've gathered the glitter came originally from a domestic cat called Millwood Tory of Delhi that was found wandering around the Delhi Zoo. That cat was bred with F1 bengal females when the breed was just starting out. He ended up being registered as a Mau I think.

tiffanyjbt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also, GK, I first thought Charlie had glitter too. But that was before I actually saw glitter in person. Charlie has an amazingly shiney coat, but its obvious to me now that there is no glitter.

As others have mentioned, its really hard to photograph glitter. Heres some on Ares.If you look on his nose, thats not dried up food (
) its glitter:

(reduced!)

Also, Ares has really shiny fur as well. His glitter is more concentrated in certain spots. Especially along the two brown stripes down his back. I'll try to catch that this weekend. But his fur is shiny all over, which I think some call a different kind of glitter, but I'm not sure about that. Whatever it is, it kind of makes the cats look like they are glowing. Gives them a 3-D look. I've seen that in other breeds too though, but not as frequently. Maybe it has something to do with the pelt?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I agree with you, Charlie is just shiny, but no glitter. I think some thought so cause in the sunlite it appears like glitter if the sun hits the fur on the right angle.

I got to see one of the Bengals with real glitter on him at the last show

and reduce the picture please - its messing up my pc

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the thing notice most about my one bengal boy, the neuter, my first bengal, is his 'dog' like face. There is nothing else i can think of to describe it. When I start taking pics with this new fancy 35 mm I bought on ebay, I am going to post some GOOD pics of my babies. It most resembles the F1 boy posted on this thread earlier. The only other bengal i have with this interesting face is my little show boy Kong.
Not only is his face dog-like, he 'barks'. It's a distinctly un-catlike sound and it it is a deep soft bark, really it is. It's a warning sound he uses to the kittens when they intrude on his personal space. It's the only time I've ever heard him use this sound, and he is absolutely the only cat I've ever heard making it. Would love to hear from other bengal owners if they know this sound.