Lesion Inside Kitten’s Nostril

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Canyou give us any more info? Does it bother him? Did it just suddenly appear or start small and grow or what? Do you have other animals that could have scratched him and started this? Have you tried putting anything on it to see what would happen (cleaned it, etc?)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Is he having trouble breathing? Any other symptoms?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here’s a little background info:

I didn’t notice it until this morning. It is quite small, only visible upon close inspection, and doesn’t appear to have grown. He’s a 4-month old kitten who we adopted from our local shelter a couple weeks ago. At the time of his adoption, he was vaccinated and examined by a vet, and neither I nor the vet noticed any issue with his nose. He appeared to be quite healthy. I did notice after we adopted him that he sneezed slightly more often than normal, but I haven’t noticed any discharge from his nose or eyes. The crust (or whatever it is) cannot be scrubbed off with a warm washcloth, but it doesn’t appear to be bothering him in the least. He’s happy, active, eating well, and seemingly healthy in every way other than the nostril.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Is it just on top of the nose, or on the inside too?

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is he having trouble breathing? Any other symptoms?
Is it just on top of the nose, or on the inside too?
It’s on the inside slightly, but it’s hard to tell whether some of it is just pigmentation, since he is a tuxedo cat. His nose is sort of half black, so it’s hard to differentiate.

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s on the inside slightly, but it’s hard to tell whether some of it is just pigmentation, since he is a tuxedo cat. His nose is sort of half black, so it’s hard to differentiate.
No, he is not having any trouble breathing. He is not itching or grooming the area excessively, either. He seems completely oblivious to it.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, if he was having breathing problems and sneezing a lot I might think it could be a polyps, but it's really hard to tell. I would just watch him until your vet appointment. If he acts abnormal or seems to have any other symptoms then I would get him to the vet sooner. Let us know how it goes!

mcginnisr201

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, if he was having breathing problems and sneezing a lot I might think it could be a polyps, but it's really hard to tell. I would just watch him until your vet appointment. If he acts abnormal or seems to have any other symptoms then I would get him to the vet sooner. Let us know how it goes!
Thanks for the input! He is sneezing frequently but breathing fine. The sneezing has been going on since we got him, but it isn’t severe. I will let you know how it goes.

I did just get a response from the vet via email, and she said it looked like crusting from chronic dryness and/or irritation from a past respiratory infection. She said it’s not uncommon and that I should put Vaseline on it to increase moisture and promote healing of the area.

I’m still going to take him in, but I do feel less anxious about it, which is a relief. :)

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
What the vet says makes sense, also since he's been sneezing!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Glad that the Vet responded to you. Sounds logical. Now you can relax a bit :alright:.

Keep us posted after you take him in.