Leo stopped eating

Gfender3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are now entering day three where Leo hasn’t really been eating. He only take a couple of bites and stops:(

he seems to be hungry and wants food but won’t eat anything I give him wet or dry. He’s been eating the same food for months now. We used to live in Florida with 2 other cats, we moved in July to northern California. He is almost 4 years old. I’m wondering if maybe because it’s becoming colder now, and that is new for him, if that’s the reason. He seems to be sleeping more but he still runs around and plays like normal.
If anyone on here has any ideas it would be appreciated.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One day is nothing. Three days, the cat is maybe sick. It could just be a virus that will get better on its own, but if he swallowed something, has parasites or a bunch of other things it would be a vet issue. So either take the vet now or watch him closely, eating habits and behavior including checking the litterbox.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't want to worry you, however, 3 days without eating is a long time for a cat. They need to ingest a certain amount of calories a day to prevent a condition called hepatic lipidosis, or fatty liver, which can be very serious, even life threatening. The process can start after 24 to 48 hours of a cat not eating, so it is a definite concern with your Leo.

I'll post links to a couple TCS articles that might be helpful, but please consult with your vet if he doesn't eat something substantial soon.

Why Has My Cat Stopped Eating And Is It Dangerous? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again | TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd make a vet appointment for as soon as possible. In the meantime, you can syringe feed him to prevent those liver issues. Mix a pate style cat food with water to make a slurry, draw it up into a (needleless) syringe or medicine dropper, and gently squeeze a small amount at a time into his mouth, allowing him to swallow between bites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gfender3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will eat only a few bites at a time. Across today he ate maybe half a cans worth of wet food. He would get excited when I would bring out new food, smell it. And most of the time turn away. But a few times he took a few bites. I offered him fresh fish at one point and he would lick his lips each time he smelled it but never ate any :/ only the wet food. He’s still willing to play. Still jumping onto things no problem. Overall not acting different than normal. Just hardly eating.

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Expiration date on the cans? Just a shot in the dark. I learned the lesson a few years ago and my cat was doing the same. No health issues luckily, it just wasnt "fresh". Although the fish turndown is very suspicious. 🍣🤔

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds like he is either suffering from nausea or has something that is preventing from eating, such as painful teeth or gums.

You really need to get him to a vet soon. Not eating can kill a cat much faster than whatever caused the not eating.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, a half a can a day isn't likely an immediately dangerous level of eating after three days, so thats good. However, I agree with everyone else that something is going on and wouldn't delay. If you are lucky, its a virus causing naussea and maybe you didn't need to bring the cat in, but lots of other things require vet help. About the only thing I might try first is getting a can or something different and/or maybe some dry food. Maybe some grilled chicken with no seasoning, cut up fine.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He’s still willing to play. Still jumping onto things no problem. Overall not acting different than normal. Just hardly eating.
I understand that him still having energy, and wanting to play, makes it seem like he probably doesn't have anything really wrong with him. But 3+ days of eating minimally isn't normal, so please call your vet and make an appointment to get Leo checked out. :redheartpump:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go to a Walmart and get some cat treats called Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew, NOT the bisque. That is what I give my cats when I have meds to give them and when they are sick and they have never turned it down. They are in a pouch near the treat section. Try that. I agree something is going on, with his mouth or his stomach.

Gfender3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he’s definitely attempted to eat. This morning he threw up a good amount of food. I checked his litter and he doesn’t seem to be going poo. I’ve started giving him a supplement gel for nutrition. Little by little he’s eating that. Due to COVID I can’t have him seen until tomorrow:( I’m watching him closely and well praying.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor baby. He might be constipated. Or just isn't "going" because he hasn't been eating. Glad you're got an appointment for him. Will be sending pawsitive thoughts your way. :redheartpump:

AmandaRox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, constipation. I agree. Or a blockage but I hope he feels better soon. Turkey bone broth would help the constipation. My 21 year old Molly (RIP) loved it!

Gfender3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HES POOPED! it seems the gel and digestive drops did the trick he’s just eaten a whole can of wet food and obviously ate some of the dry I left him he’s also drinking water from the bowl too 😭