Lentils as a treat?

misskalamata

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats really like lentils. I can't find anywhere that says they're poisonous to cats, but does anyone know for sure that they aren't? I'm talking a small amount as an occasional treat.....

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To my knowledge, lentils as a treat every now and then won't actively harm your cats, MissKalamata, but it might upset their digestive systems (vomiting and/or runny poos). Cats are obligate carnivores and, as such, can't properly digest fruits, veggies, grains... well, anything that isn't animal-based, actually.

As much as the kitties may beg, I wouldn't feed them lentils (or any fruit or veggie). Maybe you could give them little bits of whatever (unseasoned) meat you're going to cook for dinner?

Regards!

AC

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt feed lentils or any other legumes. My friend fed his dog some lentils and they went through his sytem in record time causing some runny BM and a very sore dog for a few hours afterward. I have heard they can have the same effect on cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a food I would regularly feed as legumes can be allergenic to many ... but many homemade recipes( ones by folks with legit nutritional educations) do include them so overall they must not be bad... they are fine for most dogs as a side note