Lentil soup.

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to eat Progesso lentil soup 3 times weekly. They recently changed the recipe and it’s unpalatable to me. Does anyone have a lentil soup recipe that is really close to Progesso’s? Their main ingredients were:
Lentils
Water ( stock is fine with me )
Celery
Tomato paste ( scant amount)
Spinach
Thanks

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind of lentils do you have - the typical greenish brown or the smaller de Puy French lentil would be my suggestion. Definitely not red lentils. They turn to mush.

Rinse about 1 cup of lentils. Use vegetable peeler on celery, maybe two ribs. Slice, dice, and saute with olive oil. When color is brighter and celery has begun to soften add lentils. Stir around until lentils are coated. Add two to three cups water or stock (how brothy do you want your soup) bring to boil, turn down to simmer. Add a generous tablespoon or two of tomato paste, or consider using some crushed tomatoes, anywhere from a half to one cup. Put lid on pot, simmer for about 35 minutes.

Tear or shred rinsed spinach, add to soup pot and turn up heat to active simmer for 10 minutes or so.

Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is a recipe I love. It makes about four servings, very filling and spicy and cooks pretty quickly once you get all the chopping done.

LENTIL SOUP

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 medium leeks, white only, chopped
3-6 garlic cloves, minced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatos (drained and chopped)
1 ½ cups chopped green cabbage
1 large bay leaf
2 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
7 cups canned vegetable (or chicken ) broth (4 cans).
1/3 cup uncooked brown rice
1/3 cup dried lentils, I prefer small brown ones.

Heat oil in large soup pot. Add leeks and sauté for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add all other ingredients except rice and lentils, reduce heat and cook 30 minutes. Add rice and lentils and cook about 30 minutes, until rice is tender.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault
I don’t have any lentils yet. I believe I’d like the small brown ones. They are tender and creamy. I live in NY. Any idea of the brand I’d like to buy?

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to eat Progesso lentil soup 3 times weekly. They recently changed the recipe and it’s unpalatable to me. Does anyone have a lentil soup recipe that is really close to Progesso’s? Their main ingredients were:
Lentils
Water ( stock is fine with me )
Celery
Tomato paste ( scant amount)
Spinach
Thanks
I used to eat a lot of Progesso lentil soup but when I went vegan I switched over to
Amy's lentil soup. I think it taste better.
Ingredients:
filter water
organic:
green lentils
celery
carrots
potatoes
extra virgin olive oil

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bbdoll22 bbdoll22 I'm so far west in New Jersey that only the Delaware River separates me from Pennsylvania.

My local Shoprite here in NJ has de puy lentils in their bulk food section - place a bag under the chute, lift gate, and the lentils come tumbling out. Sabbarot is a good brand to look for, for de puy lentils. Goya lentils, Jack Rabbit, etc will be the more traditional greenish brown lentils. Perhaps a health food store might have the de puy, or a gourmet store - Trader Joe, Whole Food.

But while you are first trying the recipe I think using the usual greenish brown lentils would be fine.That gives you time to tweak the recipe to your liking while you search for de puy lentils, which are somewhat more expensive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbdoll22

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C catapault
Thank you for your recipe and advice. This will help me immensely.
one last question can I freeze lentil soup?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know of a recipe, sorry. I just wanted to say I KNOW RIGHT!!! It used to be my favorite, too, why did they change it? Hmph. Jerks.

VanCatMa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also like the Progresso classic lentil soup, it's my favorite Progresso soup. Then, Progresso made a lentil with vegetable soup variety, and I didn't like their lentil with vegetable soup as much. I even thought they stopped making their classic lentil soup, but thank goodness, they still make it! My favorite is their classic Progresso lentil soup, and I add some parmesan cheese, and a splash of Frank's Red hot sauce too it.

Good times, Good times! 🥣

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
bbdoll22 bbdoll22 If you eat lentil soup three times a week I doubt you'll have much left to freeze. It should certainly last that long, refrigerated. But if that's what you decide to do, take off what you'll freeze before you add the spinach. In fact, with a week's worth of soup I'd remove what will not be promptly consumed and refrigerate, then add spinach to that's day's serving and finish cooking.