Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease - Just Diagnosed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He IS doing so well!
I know, it blows my mind. I'm more or less just letting him move at his own pace.

He goes in his crate at night so that he doesn't jump while I'm asleep. Such a good boy, doesn't make a sound all night. It's routine for him now. I know it must be hard because usually that's when cats are most active.

This all happened so fast, I can't believe that he's well into recovery already. I thought I'd never make it through the first week after surgery! I probably wouldn't have if it wasn't for all the wonderful support I've received here. :thanks:

His tail is all healed now too. :happycat: That was one of my biggest concerns.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are just charming. First they are all in love, which is so cute when cats bond like that, and then she needs time to reconsider. My avatar is like that with the boy cats. She plays, then gets that "stand back" look in her eyes and the tail starts going up and down.
I think that's why the foster mom wanted them to be adopted together. She said they were really bonded. In Lulu's defence, Ash was playing quite aggressively with her last night. He's not usually like that. He had a hold of the back of her neck and wouldn't let go. Not sure what that was about. I'm glad the videos worked. Not sure what I did wrong before.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been watching Ash the past few days and he's not walking as much. He's also not eating as much as he did before the surgery, but that's okay because he is a bit overweight anyway. He's eating enough, just not as much.

I wonder if I should be encouraging him to walk more. He doesn't have any trouble when he is walking but he's sleeping more than I would like. Might ask the vet if I should cut back the Gabapentin. He stays out of the crate at night now and goes up and down the steps that I made for him onto my bed. He doesn't try to jump or anything yet. Just don't want him to get stiff and lazy.

We are at 3 weeks post surgery today...just being a lazy butt. 🤦‍♀️

20221201_183948.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Without reading too much into his changes in behavior, just keep an eye on him. The gabapentin certainly might make him sleepy and less active. Less active, less appetite so you are sort of going in a circle. Ask the vet about the dosage and how to cut it back if that is what they want to try.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His Gabapentin is worn off in the morning so he's not much interested in his food until he takes it. He will eat about half of his food and then go and sleep (he's still hiding in my son's bed). He'll wake up and eat more in a few hours, and then sleep again. Last night, he was playing with Lulu and I saw him run a little.

I am watching him closely. I think it's just a total change in his routine since the surgery. I still have to contact the vet. I know that I can cut him to half a tablet but I will check.

I'm also wondering if he's cold without his fur and if that's why he's sleeping under my son's comforter.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a definite possibility that he might be very cold, having lost so much fur on his body for that surgery.
Last night he snuggled in bed with me under the covers. Got all comfy and stretched out on my chest. If I turned my head in the opposite direction to him, he would reach up and paw my face. I was thinking to myself, why is this animal so adorable? Even with his little peach fuzz bum. I must have fallen asleep like that because he was at my feet when I woke up. Maybe I will try a onesie again. My daughter brough over a couple that her cats had. It isn't cold in here at all but to him it might be.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does he seem to be moving around ok now? I was thinking, if he's feeling cold/being chilly, that could be causing him to be a little stiffer, but along with that you said he was eating a little less.

Do you have a way to safely take his temperature? That could be an indicator if there's more going on.