Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease - Just Diagnosed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:rock::clap2::clap:So glad he's feeling better. Lulu is keeping an eye on him and keeping him company. One knowable lady mentioned occasionally airing a wound aides healing. Keep us updated, we're all pulling for you guys
:hangin: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Awe, thanks so much! His bum is open to the air. He's been sleeping all morning. More sleep, more healing. I just have his bottom covered with a little blanet right now. He hasn't been licking but he kept his donut on all night, so that's good!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting the stitches out will be a big help, so hang on! I can't determine from the pic if it is the result of being shaved too closely; however, that has happened to animals I have brought in for procedures which required it or just for sanitary reasons. He is uncomfortable, but he will settle down once it starts to feel better and he can get the cone off.
Monday morning! You know, he hasn't really touched his stitches at all. I think he was more distracted with the irritated bum/tail. He is a lot more comfortable today. It hasn't been that long, only 9 days but it feels like and eternity. He seems to be walking really well too. He only goes to the litter box and back but I can see him eyeing the counter, like he wants to jump...I am going to have to keep a very close eye on him as he recovers. Still need to figure out what I'm going to set up for him going forward.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely give that some thought. What you don't need is a redo of this procedure, or a touch up if he tries for the big jump.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ash got the 👍 from the vet!

Stitches are out and he can start being more active now. I don't have a safe space set up for him yet so I took him for a walk around the upstairs bedrooms. Kept him on a leash. He wanted to sniff everything and make sure it was still the same, then he plunked himself down in my son's pile of dirty laundy. :lol: Boys!

The only thing that I still have to deal with is his sore bum/tail area. They told me to keep applying the Desitin and it should eventually clear up...it's just such a difficult area to cover, and he always seems to get to it regardless of what I do. Frustrating for me and painful for him.

I made him another shirt from the leg of some old stretchy sweat pants and left it long enough to cover his tail a few inches. At least this one hugs his body better than my first sad attempt. 🤣 Also, tried to make a larger cone with some poster board and duct tape. Poor Ash, the things that he has to put up with from me.

Lulu is absolutely :hyper: ...came flying across the room up on to the cat tree and almost knocked it through the window. She's being very vocal and wants to play with her brother. She went in the crate but she's just a bit too rough. :nono:

I'm not sure how long he has to stay on Gabapentin, all the vets seem to have different opinions. I guess you just play it by ear and see how it goes. Any input on that would be appreciated. :catlove:

20221121_130500.jpg