Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease - Just Diagnosed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
💖Very clever and inventive❤ Is the wound looking better? I suggest letting it occasionally air out. So glad he can walk without pain.😽
It comes and goes. If he licks it, forget it. I'll persevere like the vet told me to. Yes, the back end is open. I don't know how long he will have this onesie on because he's supposed to walk and he doesn't like walking with it on. I figured he'd like it better than a cone but I guess not. :hmmm:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if, as he heals a bit more, you could switch to something safer if he ingested it, like raw coconut oil?
I know you suggested that before. When the vet told me to use the Desitin, I assumed they were prescribing something safe. Good thing I called back to check, and found out it was toxic. I might pick up some of the coconut oil the next time I'm out because I'm finding this more stressful than the surgery and stitches! We ditched the onesie and went back to the cone, LOL.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
It comes and goes. If he licks it, forget it. I'll persevere like the vet told me to. Yes, the back end is open. I don't know how long he will have this onesie on because he's supposed to walk and he doesn't like walking with it on. I figured he'd like it better than a cone but I guess not. :hmmm:
I meant airing the wound itself, no ointment etc..., every so often.❤

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what Ash is up to today. His crate is open, and he is free to walk around but he's just sitting in there. Maybe he isn't feeling very good. :sigh:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you try tempting him out with something, since doctor's orders are to go walk-about a bit? :) He might be sore --?, but on the flip side, that exercise is of course crucial.
He was out this morning and walked a bit, ate and went to the litter box, then he went and slept under the curtains for a while. I gave him his Gabapentin with breakfast and he's receptive to pets. He might just be tired. I will work with him. I don't want to push it since he walked quite a bit last night.

I thought the vet might give me some kind of a schedule for his rehab but they didn't. "More activity" is all they really said.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is probably tired, maybe even more so with the stitches out, especially if they were bothering him in any way. I agree with figuring out what his comfort zone is for activity and trying to work with that.
He just walked straight into my son's room again and headed to that pile of dirty laundry. Now he's lying in there. He is in pain, I can tell because he cried a bit. He isn't due for Gabapentin again until 8 pm, so I'm not sure if I should just leave him alone to rest (?)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he cried a bit.
Oh baby boyo :alright:. Yeah, probably leave him (while keeping an eye out for anything). He might have scraped, or sqwooshed his sore bum too. The one thing about that Desitin, does it have a little bit of painkiller in it? Or the coconut oil, it can ease discomfort as well so you wouldn't have to put a cone back on.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh baby boyo :alright:. Yeah, probably leave him (while keeping an eye out for anything). He might have scraped, or sqwooshed his sore bum too. The one thing about that Desitin, does it have a little bit of painkiller in it? Or the coconut oil, it can ease discomfort as well so you wouldn't have to put a cone back on.
I'm thinking it could be his bum too. I've put nothing on it today but it does still look sore. I put him back in the crate for now with the cone on so that he doesn't lick it. I didn't manage to get the coconut oil yet but the Desitin package says that it has maximum strength zinc oxide, forms a protective barrier to promote healing and soothe rash.