Leftover medications

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little 8 month old kitten passed away Friday. I have some leftover medication. Is there anything I can do with it besides throwing it out?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your little kitten. Please accept my sympathy at your loss.

What I have done when there is some left-over medication from one of my cats - depending on what it is - is give it back to the vet hospital requesting that it be given either to a rescue group or a vet hospital client who may have difficulty paying for that medication for their pet.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My little 8 month old kitten passed away Friday.
My deepest regrets and sincere condolences on the loss of your precious kitten. :angel: At any time, if it would help, please feel free to post a tribute to your kitty in the Crossing Bridge forum here:Crossing the Bridge

I thought this article from the American Veterinary Medical Association might be helpful regarding disposing of medication:
Disposal of Unwanted Medications

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I contacted the Vet's office and they are not interested in taking the meds back for someone who could use it. I wonder if the local humane society could use it?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry about your very young kitten and it is very kind of you to offer the meds. Over the years, I have found myself in a similar situation with dog and cat meds. Basically a vet will not take them back due to liability/laws about passing them on to another client. It would be at the discretion of a rescue or individual to take them from you if they felt comfortable doing that. I have had individuals accept meds from me on occasion, but usually I have had to dispose of them myself.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If no rescue group will take unopened medication, you could try offering it directly to other pet owners in your area. Try FreeCycle or FB. Otherwise, just dispose of it properly.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We live in a rural area and do not have any rescue groups. The closest would be our local humane society. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I called our local humane society and I was told they would definitely take any leftover meds. What they can't use they pass on to their Vet. Was happy to hear that.