LeeLee's Urinary Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good that he has made progress! Not sure just one dose of Clavamox would make a difference, but maybe the combo of that and the injection - and more anti-inflammatory meds if you have given him those as well. I hope things continue to improve!
It seems up and down. He had been on anti-inflammatory meds before, but was out until today, and missed a couple doses, sometimes because he'd move his head at the last second and they would end up on the floor. Will those missed doses affect current dose's effectiveness?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems up and down. He had been on anti-inflammatory meds before, but was out until today, and missed a couple doses, sometimes because he'd move his head at the last second and they would end up on the floor. Will those missed doses affect current dose's effectiveness?
I would suspect even with anti-inflammatory meds there is a cumulative effect (think arthritic treatments like Cosequin). Some of it depends on what kind of anti-inflammatory he is getting. What did the vet tell you in terms of how long to expect it to be before you might begin to notice an improvement?

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suspect even with anti-inflammatory meds there is a cumulative effect (think arthritic treatments like Cosequin). Some of it depends on what kind of anti-inflammatory he is getting. What did the vet tell you in terms of how long to expect it to be before you might begin to notice an improvement?
Anywhere from a week to ten days. She said him not getting his anti-inflammatory enough is likely a reason why it's taken a little longer too. he has missed a few doses, as I said. He's hard to give medicine to, as he will sometimes go to ridiculous lengths to avoid it.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Missing doses could definitely slow down healing. Especially the anti-inflammatory med, since straining/blood in urine that hasn’t progressed to a complete blockage is often caused by or exacerbated by inflammation of the urethra itself (rather than crystals) that gets worse with the stress of having to strain to pee. Painkillers and anti-inflammatories are important for treating URIs in cats because they help break that cycle of straining to pee > causing stress > causing inflammation > inflammation creates more peeing issues > etc.

did they do a urine culture?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, also have a difficult cat to pill. I have finally resorted to dissolving the medication in tuna water, wrapping her in a purrito, and squirting on down (NOT directly into the throat, which can cause aspiration and choking...it goes to the side). Last time we had to do that, she started running every time I went to take a bath, as soon as she saw the towel!

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Clavamox isn't just an anti-inflammatory, it's an antibiotic. Just like with human antibiotics it won't work if it's not given as directed. If you aren't able to medicate your cat the vet may be willing to board him for the duration of his treatment.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clavamox isn't just an anti-inflammatory, it's an antibiotic. Just like with human antibiotics it won't work if it's not given as directed. If you aren't able to medicate your cat the vet may be willing to board him for the duration of his treatment.
I don't know why I kept calling it Clavamox, I meant to say meloxicam.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Lee-Lee back to the vet for a checkup on Monday for hus UTI and crystals, and as now, he no longer has bacteria or crystals in his urine. He still has inflammation and mild occasional bleeding, the latter being dealt with his by an anti-inflammatory medication, and a few other supplements I was given to help him with inflammation, in addition to his prescription diet. He was diagnosed with cystitis as the cause of his inflammation now. As I now know inflammation is caused by stress, I plan on getting him neutered soon, something I wish I had done long ago. He used to be an indoor/outdoor cat and I had never had a male cat before him, so I foolishly only thought of getting a cat fixed from the perspective of not having my cat get pregnant, I didn't think of how it makes male cats more aggressive, causes them to spray and makes them desperate to get outside. How soon will the neutering calm him, and will the procedure cause him any stress in the short term? I wish I had thought of this long ago, as due to his habits, he acquired FIV at some point. He was diagnosed with it last summer, but only recently began wanting to get outside badly. From August, his time of diagnosis, to a week or so ago, he didn't seem very interested in getting outside much. He'd occasionally try, but was mostly fine being indoors. Is it mating season for cats? Or has his recent urinary issues made him more stressed, and he's looking to get outside as an outlet for relieve? Also, how I can calm him in the meantime before he gets neutered?

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One other question, is anesthesia more risky on a cat with FIV? He will need it for the neutering.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
How soon will the neutering calm him, and will the procedure cause him any stress in the short term?
It will take about 6 months for the testosterone to leave his system completely. During that time he can still father kittens, but he will gradually calm down, the terrible smell from his urine will lessen and, hopefully, he should stop spraying. The trip to the vet and back might upset him a bit, but the actual procedure won't.
Is it mating season for cats?
Male cats are ready to mate at any time, but female cats tend to come into heat in the early spring.
One other question, is anesthesia more risky on a cat with FIV?
No, it shouldn't be. I've had FIV cats spayed and neutered. The only time you need to be careful is if the cat is sick with anything along side the FIV. One of my female rescues was very emaciated and anemic, so we had to postpone her spay surgery until she was a healthy weight.

Talk to you vet about any concerns you have. Ask about vaccinations. It's important to have cats with FIV fully vaccinated, as they have compromised immune systems, but most vets suggest using an inactivated vaccine in these case.

Ask your vet to check his teeth while doing the neuter surgery. Cats with FIV often suffer from gum infections and he may need to have teeth extracted.

But having FIV isn't going to have a huge impact on his life, as long as you make sure he has a healthy diet and try to keep him indoors. I've had cats with FIV live past 16 years of age and my current FIV rescue is doing great.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It will take about 6 months for the testosterone to leave his system completely. During that time he can still father kittens, but he will gradually calm down, the terrible smell from his urine will lessen and, hopefully, he should stop spraying. The trip to the vet and back might upset him a bit, but the actual procedure won't.

Male cats are ready to mate at any time, but female cats tend to come into heat in the early spring.

No, it shouldn't be. I've had FIV cats spayed and neutered. The only time you need to be careful is if the cat is sick with anything along side the FIV. One of my female rescues was very emaciated and anemic, so we had to postpone her spay surgery until she was a healthy weight.

Talk to you vet about any concerns you have. Ask about vaccinations. It's important to have cats with FIV fully vaccinated, as they have compromised immune systems, but most vets suggest using an inactivated vaccine in these case.

Ask your vet to check his teeth while doing the neuter surgery. Cats with FIV often suffer from gum infections and he may need to have teeth extracted.

But having FIV isn't going to have a huge impact on his life, as long as you make sure he has a healthy diet and try to keep him indoors. I've had cats with FIV live past 16 years of age and my current FIV rescue is doing great.
He has FIV, but other than the recent cystis, he seems to be doing fine. He is a healthy weight, and has a good appetite, sleeps well, and has a lot of energy. When I took him to the vet for a full checkup a month ago, they said his gums were receding some, and last summer, he did have mouth ulcers, which is how I found out about his FIV. The reason I asked about mating season, is because he didn't seem particularly bothered about being inside all the time until recently. He had snuck out a couple times since last summer, but it's not until recently that he's been bothered by being inside all the time.