LeeLee's Urinary Issues

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old male cat has a UTI and crystals that need antibiotics. I have two in syringe form for him, but after the first time, he refuses to take them, as he now fears and hates the syringe. He also won't take them on food any more, either. He will eat otherwise, but once he thinks the food has the medicine, he loses his appetite. I am so distraught over this, as if he doesn't take his medication, the UTI could possibly become a blockage, and he will his appetite entirely. I don't know what to do, every thing I try to give the medication fails, and he stubbornly fights against any attempt. I already lost my grandfather two weeks ago, and the thought of losing my cat too to something like this is too much. I have what is needed to help him, but be refuses to let me give it to him. I don't know what to do anymore. If he doesn't get his medication, the UTI will cause a blockage eventually, which can be fatal.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Could you call your vet and ask if the antibiotic he needs is available as an injection? I take care of feral cats and that's usually the only way I can get medication into a few of them. One injection is usually the same as a full course of antibiotics.

molang

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try to hide it in his food. I usualy hide my cat's medication in her treats. I take a piece of a meat stick, put the medication in the middle and form a small ball with my hands and she eats it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Try these options for mixing with the meds:
1.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give him a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
2.) baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut)
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft - just to name a few
4.) Tiki Cat Mousse (which is complete meal, not a treat)

I had to give Feeby liquid meds in a syringe, and she gagged/hacked/foamed at the mouth - but, had no problem when mixed with any of the above.

Or, if another antibiotic can't be prescribed due to the type of bacterial infection he has, you can get the current one compounded with flavoring to hopefully mask the taste.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Try these options for mixing with the meds:
1.) 'juice' from canned tuna and chicken, and then give him a piece of the meat as a treat afterward
3.) lickable treats, such as Applaws, Wholehearted, Tiki Cat Stix, Inaba Churu, Vitakraft - just to name a few

I had to give Feeby liquid meds in a syringe, and she gagged/hacked/foamed at the mouth - but, had no problem when mixed with any of the above.

Or, if another antibiotic can't be prescribed due to the type of bacterial infection he has, you can get the current one compounded with flavoring to hopefully mask the taste.
I took him to get the antibiotic shot. It seemed like the best option at this point.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for a cat with a UTI to have a poor appetite? My cat who is currently being treated for a UTI currently has a low appetite. He has no lethargy or pain when applying pressure to any part of his body, however.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think that varies by cat and may have to do with the antibiotics your cat is taking for the UTI. Antibiotics are pretty notorious for causing stomach upset. If he is in fact taking oral meds for the UTI, try to make sure he eats food to lessen any aggravation the meds might have on his stomach. You might try some of these options for mixing with his antibiotic, just to help get the meds down him and ensure he has some food in his belly along with them:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can't add much to that, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner pretty well covered it. It sounds like he just generally feels icky, even though there is no apparent localized pain. Having had my share of UTIs over the years, I can attest to the generalized icky-ness of it all.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can't add much to that, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner pretty well covered it. It sounds like he just generally feels icky, even though there is no apparent localized pain. Having had my share of UTIs over the years, I can attest to the generalized icky-ness of it all.
His appetite has improved tonight, thankfully.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long does it take for Convenia to fully treat a UTI in a cat? My cat was given it 5 days ago, since then, he hasn't gone back to using his box full time, but has used it a little more, and urinates bigger streams than before, however, he does still produce the occasional small stream and acts like he is uncomfortable at times. Is this normal? I constantly worry if he's progressed to a blockage. His bladder was easily expressed on Friday when he got the shot. Is it possible for a blockage to have occurred since then, even with the Convenia shot, anti inflammatory, and prescription food diet? My cat also had a bad appetite for a few days, but it has increased in the last two days.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a fan of Convenia, just FYI, but I would be back at the vet for further testing or a different antibiotic since you're not seeing a vast improvement by now.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do NOT think that he is blocked...that could change. With an actual blockage, he wouldn't be peeing at all, or barely, and would probably be in obvious, fairly severe, discomfort. HOWEVER, after 5 days, I would expect a better outcome. DO call your vet, and ask to be seen again.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do NOT think that he is blocked...that could change. With an actual blockage, he wouldn't be peeing at all, or barely, and would probably be in obvious, fairly severe, discomfort. HOWEVER, after 5 days, I would expect a better outcome. DO call your vet, and ask to be seen again.
I will. His appetite better now I noticed. In between the time of me making the original post, and this reply, he's eaten quite a bit of his food in comparison to before and is comfortably laying down grooming himself, not a grooming focused on his groin area, but a full body grooming. He was walking around to the windows and doors of the house earlier, meowing. I can't figure out of it's a pain meow or him wanting outside. He only does the meowing when he gets to a door or window. His improvement isn't entirely non existent, he is using his box a little now, but not as much I'd think, and his urine streams are typically bigger than before. This is my first time ever dealing with a cat that has UTI and crystals.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those are good signs, and the meowing may be completely unrelated, as you said. Give him another day...Then call the vet if you have questions. If they brush you off, FIND ANOTHER VET!

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Those are good signs, and the meowing may be completely unrelated, as you said. Give him another day...Then call the vet if you have questions. If they brush you off, FIND ANOTHER VET!
He is fast asleep now. Tonight though, I did notice what I thought was dripping blood after he urinated. Is that just part of a UTI? Like I implied before, in some ways he seems to be getting better, in others, the same.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If he wasn't having blood in his urine before, but now is - that is an indicator things aren't going in the right direction. Call the vet and tell them what is going on.

It is possible that he might need more, or a stronger dose of, anti-inflammatory meds. And, ideally, the vet should have run a urine culture in addition to the urinalysis to identify the most appropriate antibiotic to give him - while most any antibiotic will help, not all will necessarily eradicate the UTI depending on the bacteria strain.

I trust the vet found crystals in his urine, hence the prescription food he was put on? The food is supposed to help dissolve existing crystals and reduce the production of new crystals. But, drinking plenty of water is as equally important in order to flush out the bladder. The combination of meds and food he was put on do take time to get results. But, the recent blood in the urine is cause for an immediate follow up with the vet.

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. If he wasn't having blood in his urine before, but now is - that is an indicator things aren't going in the right direction. Call the vet and tell them what is going on.

It is possible that he might need more, or a stronger dose of, anti-inflammatory meds. And, ideally, the vet should have run a urine culture in addition to the urinalysis to identify the most appropriate antibiotic to give him - while most any antibiotic will help, not all will necessarily eradicate the UTI depending on the bacteria strain.

I trust the vet found crystals in his urine, hence the prescription food he was put on? The food is supposed to help dissolve existing crystals and reduce the production of new crystals. But, drinking plenty of water is as equally important in order to flush out the bladder. The combination of meds and food he was put on do take time to get results. But, the recent blood in the urine is cause for an immediate follow up with the vet.
They gave him more anti-inflammatory meds, clavamox. He had missed a few does, unfortunately. He spits them out sometimes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they are pills and can be crushed, you can do one of the following (this also works with liquid meds too):
1.) Lickable treats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few. Tiki Cat Mousse works well too.
2.) The 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water, with a piece of the meat as a treat afterward.
3.) Baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut - neither have any additives like onions, etc.).

tml1991

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they are pills and can be crushed, you can do one of the following (this also works with liquid meds too):
1.) Lickable treats, such as Applaws, Tiki Cat Stix, Vitakraft, Wholehearted, and Inaba Churu, just to name a few. Tiki Cat Mousse works well too.
2.) The 'juice' from canned tuna or chicken in water, with a piece of the meat as a treat afterward.
3.) Baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut - neither have any additives like onions, etc.).
After a 30 minute Tom and Jerry like chase, I managed to give him a dose of his clavamox a about 4-5 hours ago. He seems to be doing some better now better. He urinated again and this time had no blood.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
After a 30 minute Tom and Jerry like chase, I managed to give him a dose of his clavamox a about 4-5 hours ago. He seems to be doing some better now better. He urinated again and this time had no blood.
Good that he has made progress! Not sure just one dose of Clavamox would make a difference, but maybe the combo of that and the injection - and more anti-inflammatory meds if you have given him those as well. I hope things continue to improve!