Leaving Recently Intergrated Cats Alone For The Weekend

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, i am just seeking advice. I have two older cats who I have integrated with two kittens. the process has taken very long, and they now are I guess tolerant of each other. (the two big guys love each other, and the two little guys hang together). once in a great while, the older cats get hissy with the younger ones when they get too much in their face. my husband and i want to go away for the weekend for the first time, and i'm a little concerned. i do have a friend that will come over every day, and even spend one or two of the nights there. the cats are all very familiar with her. this will be the longest they are ever all left alone, since my husband is retired and is there a lot. should I be concerned since there is still slight animosity between them at times? we are only going from a friday morning until monday afternoon.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first take is that I think they will be alright together. If it is possible I would consider setting up a few cams you can check from your phone to give you some piece of mind and if you see anything out of place you could ask your friend to set up on it. If they haven’t gotten into any major fights so far and they aren’t having to compete for resources I think they will be fine.

I hope you have a safe and fun trip!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. the cam is not an option (i'm not very good at technology). we are only going to be a four hour drive away, so I suppose if my friend seems like anything is amiss she can get us home. I get so nervous, but i guess I have to leave them sometime.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think as long as you have someone coming in at least once a day to check on them, they should be fine. Maybe consider closing doors to rooms you don't want them in. And ensuring all other areas are totally kitten-proofed.

Also, maybe put out an extra litter box, just in case one gets used a bit more than usual before the pet sitter gets there to clean it. You definitely don't want them to start bad litterbox habits while you're away.

Here's an article that might have a few tips for you.
How Long Can You Leave Your Cat Alone For?

Enjoy your trip.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks. the extra litter box is a good idea. my friend has three cats of her own, which is good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm.... since your friend has her own cats, I'd suggest having her stop by before you go away, just to ensure they don't smell her cats on her and freak out.

Recently there was a thread about a cat that suddenly started attacking his owner. Turned out the owner had started volunteering at a shelter, and his cat was smelling the other cats on his and getting jealous / aggressive.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks, she does actually have to stop by the night before anyway. they are pretty good about that, I have stayed overnight at her house, and other cat smells don't seem to bother them for some reason. she has been to my house quite a bit before, as well as her husband, and they have never seemed too concerned. luckily, they are not too jealous of cats.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know my boys are always quarreling with each other (One growling ... the other hunting him) .... until I leave for a trip. Then are all buddy buddy with each other while I'm gone. :rolleyes3:

I think your cats will be fine. However if one or two cats seem stressed, I would separate that cat until you get back.