Leaving Omega-3 fish oil with food

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I add fish oil to my kitty’s meal, and she can tell when I do so she usually doesn’t eat her food right away. She will sniff, walk away, and then come back later in an hour or so and then eat it. Eventually she does eat it all.

is it okay to leave fish oil out like that? Will it affect the efficacy?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I add fish oil to my kitty’s meal, and she can tell when I do so she usually doesn’t eat her food right away. She will sniff, walk away, and then come back later in an hour or so and then eat it. Eventually she does eat it all.

is it okay to leave fish oil out like that? Will it affect the efficacy?
Why do you add it? Seems like she may not really like it? Is the brand of fish oil you’re using heavy metal/toxin tested? Since fish oils aren’t typically refrigerated, I wouldn’t think it sitting out for an hour would hurt it. Does it have a preservative in it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why do you add it? Seems like she may not really like it? Is the brand of fish oil you’re using heavy metal/toxin tested? Since fish oils aren’t typically refrigerated, I wouldn’t think it sitting out for an hour would hurt it. Does it have a preservative in it?
The brand I got is made from pure wild anchovies oil, with a little gelatin and natural Vitamin E.

She’s always struggled with dandruff and skin issues, so I started supplementing fish oil a couple of years ago. She’s always been a bit hesitant anytime I add anything to her food, even if it’s just water. What she’ll do is sniff, and go away. But then come back a little later and eat it eventually.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The brand I got is made from pure wild anchovies oil, with a little gelatin and natural Vitamin E.

She’s always struggled with dandruff and skin issues, so I started supplementing fish oil a couple of years ago. She’s always been a bit hesitant anytime I add anything to her food, even if it’s just water. What she’ll do is sniff, and go away. But then come back a little later and eat it eventually.
Anchovies are a great option as far as toxins! Did her skin respond to the fish oil? And your choice looks like a good one. I wouldn’t worry about it sitting out for an hour.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Since fish oils aren’t typically refrigerated
Fish oil given for the purpose of omega should be refrigerated with a tightly sealed lid to prevent loss of efficacy.

JulietteTruong JulietteTruong what brand and how much are you giving? I give mine 1mL twice a week (my cats’ nutritionist says that daily is too often, and have cut back since finding out that tidbit). For a non-MC/average-sized cat, the recommended dose is 0.5ml twice a week, or 1mL once. I use Nordic Naturals Omega at the moment. My cats have never cared if I added it in, but then, they’re not picky.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fish oil given for the purpose of omega should be refrigerated with a tightly sealed lid to prevent loss of efficacy.

JulietteTruong JulietteTruong what brand and how much are you giving? I give mine 1mL twice a week (my cats’ nutritionist says that daily is too often, and have cut back since finding out that tidbit). For a non-MC/average-sized cat, the recommended dose is 0.5ml twice a week, or 1mL once. I use Nordic Naturals Omega at the moment. My cats have never cared if I added it in, but then, they’re not picky.
That’s a good brand. I agree they should be refrigerated but most do not say to on the label. They should imho. Nordic naturals say they’re on top of heavy metal & toxin testing. I used to use them for my dog until she stopped eating it. (She’s gotten really picky for some reason, stopped eating almost all her supplements, I used krill oil that was in a air proof package. I actually did not refrigerate that. (I’ve since reconsidered krill oil anyway)

JulietteTruong

Alpha Cat
Purraise

I’ve been doing one capsule either everyday or every other day.

I’m not sure if I’ll stick to this brand. The reviews on Amazon are decent.

JulietteTruong

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anchovies are a great option as far as toxins! Did her skin respond to the fish oil? And your choice looks like a good one. I wouldn’t worry about it sitting out for an hour.
I’ve also made it a point to brush her daily, so that might have helped too. But I still see flakes. More on her spine area. She’s also on all wet food now, so maybe that has helped a little too? When I first adopted her years ago, her fur was greasy and the dandruff was worse.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the freeze-fried minnows! My kitty has had dandruff forever (it's so bad in winter even with humidifiers), but I recently started giving her a couple minnows once a day and she has almost zero dandruff these days.