Leaving My Cats

rachie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone, I'll be leaving my 2 sibling cats (male and female)who are almost a year old, for about 3 weeks. My cousin and his wife will be house sitting for me and taking care of them while I'm gone. The cats are not really used to people...when I have visitors they hide for hours, nowhere to be found....even after the people are gone. I won't be going away for another 2 1/2 months, but I am worried of how they will cope with my cousin.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Will they be staying in your house during this time, or just stopping by to feed/water/clean?

If they will be staying there, is it possible for them to come visit overnight a couple of times before your trip? It might help you judge the cats reactions to a longer visit.

You could also try to desensitize your cats a bit. Arrange for someone to come over for an hour or so, and before they arrive, make sure the cats are in the main area of your home and close all the interior doors so you take away their main hiding place. Advise your visitor not to try to interact with the cats, not to talk to them, or even make eye contact. Once they leave, give the cats praise, play, treats, and/or food. Repeat enough, and your cats should learn that visitors are not scary.