Leaving Cats Alone

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's the longest you would consider leaving your cat(s) alone, given adequate food, water, and litter? A day? A week? I realize it's not the optimal situation, but what if?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Depends somewhat on your cat's age, demeanor, behavior, how used to is to being left alone at all, not to mention how clean it likes it's litter box, how often it likes/needs to be fed, and whether or not there are means by which to ensure the water is kept clean, and someone to check up on possible health issues arising.

A work day is almost impossible to avoid; but, other than that any more than overnight really requires someone to come in and check on the cat - food, water changes, litterbox clean outs, and company/play time in general.

Not sure what your circumstances are, but typically a friend/family member can tend to these things if you have to be gone longer than that. Worse case scenario, you pay someone to do it - after interviewing them and having the cat meet the sitter. It can even be a neighbor kid whom you are familiar with.

In my younger, less cat-knowledgeable days, I might have done it - although I can't recall doing so. But, now, no more.

bellamor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never left my cat and dog longer than a day. I usually ask for my family/friends help to look out for them whenever I go on a vacation. They do have their own automatic feeders and waterers yet I don't think that it is fine to leave these two furs of mine alone. I feel at ease knowing that someone is taking good care of them whenever I am not around.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I have my answer. Thanks for the feedback . I too usually rely on friends, but was thinking about emergency situations .