Leaving cats alone

heidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will be going on vacation next month for 6 days. Does anyone know if it will be okay to leave 2 cats alone with plenty of food and water? They have no health problems. I fear having them boarded at a facility. And my neighbors would not be able to keep up with the cats active lifestyle. They may try to escape and go outdoors. Thanks for your help.

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They would probably be alright, but it would most likely be a good idea to have a neighbour or friend come over to check in on them... to give them fresh water, clean the litterbox, give 'em scritches. It sounds like they are fairly active, so it would definitely be a good idea to have someone come over and make sure they are alright and all accounted for. When we go on vacation without Socks, our elderly neighbour loves coming over to check on her, twice a day. It gives her something to look forward to and Socks has gotten used to her. Maybe you could work out something like that?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you mean leave them alone for 6 days with no one to check on them, NO, that is a bad idea. 2 days is stretching it to leave cats by themselves, but not 6. They can become stressed and then ill especially if they are attached to you in any fashion.

There are so many people out there who petsit- I would suggest you make arrangements for a competent pet sitter to come to your home and take care of your cats in your absence. Ask your vet for a referral to one, or perhaps a member here might live close enough to you that you might wish to meet with them and see if you click?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The vet techs at my clinic come out each day when we are on vacation. They are good to recognize any health problem that might arise from separation anxiety. They volunteer to do this for free, but I give them a generous ($) thank you card each time.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
The vet techs at my clinic come out each day when we are on vacation. They are good to recognize any health problem that might arise from separation anxiety. They volunteer to do this for free, but I give them a generous ($) thank you card each time.
Wow!!!!! I wish I had your vet!!

Yes I agree, I would never leave my cat alone for 6 days. That's insane! Someone needs to check on them and clean the litterbox and make sure they have food/water and they havent gotten into anything crazy. Cats do strange things when they're left alone. Zoey eats her toys when I'm not home
I get all paranoid when I leave her for 1 day while I'm at work
so I always go on my lunch to check on her

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heidi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your input. Some of my friends leave there cats alone for that length of time. I wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do. I will contact my vet and see if there is someone out there who can check on them.