Leaving cat at home during vacation..

neonsohc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just like the title says. we are leaving our cat at home for about a week while we are on vacation. is there anything special we should do? we are getting self feeders before we go. is it alright o leave him alone this long or should we take him over to my g/f's parents house for the week?

travis

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
what about hiring a pet sitter or having someone you know come and check on them? A week is a long time to leave cats alone and anything can happen especially once they figure out that you aren't coming home anytime soon.

weloveellie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think a week is a long time to leave your cat. If your gf's parents will watch him while you are gone, I think that is what you should do. Where are you going? Have fun!!!

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are going to South Carolina!

And yes my parents would watch them. But Trav failed to mention that my parents are also going to DC for a few days and have 3 cats of their own that are being taken care of.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never leave mine longer than 24 hours without someone coming in to check on them and give them fresh food and water and scoop the boxes.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definately would take him to my parents but he's not one to do well at all with change like this.

My parents will be gone for like 3 days and my mom and dad are going to come by and check on him and stay here for a few hours like when they come back for a few days. We will be gone for about a week. My mom is all for coming to keep him company for a few days though. So would that be ok even though it wouldn't be everyday?

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About the longest I will leave my cat(s) is 2 nights. Any longer than that and they get boarded (or if I can find one, a sitter.)

Cindy
Mom to Narsil, Mithril and Kellie da Peke

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neonsohc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok well i guess her mom is coming over. we dont really have nay neighbors that i would trust in the apartment considering we just moved there a little bit ago.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We definately will let you know how it goes! Mom is supposed to come over Tuesday so we will know then.