Leaving Cat Alone After Moving

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "catio" is just six feet of chicken wire enclosing the balcony - but the balcony has a nine foot ceiling, so I've got three feet of prime bird real estate right above the edge of the chicken wire.

The lady downstairs has a bunch of bird feeders and baths on her balcony as well, we'll get a good setup going for our feathered and furry friends.
Don't risk it, attach more chicken wire over the top and completely enclose it. You never know when she might decide to climb out after a Bird, Squirrel, another Cat, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't risk it, attach more chicken wire over the top and completely enclose it. You never know when she might decide to climb out after a Bird, Squirrel, another Cat, etc.
I am weighing this option but that is going to be much more difficult as the ceiling isn’t totally level. I’m trying to figure out how to solve that problem in an aesthetically appealing way since you are right that disaster can strike, and that’s why she’s not allowed out there without me right now. Are the odds of a 12 year old domestic longhair who is visibly scared of heights making it up over six-plus feet of chicken wire very slim? Yes. Would I ever be able to forgive myself if she did? No.

So, I’m working that out, but for now she has a safe and chill spot to hang out with me on the balcony.

In other news, as far as the thread title goes… she seems fine? I am still just sort of learning about cats - aren’t we all - but I feel like if she were depressed or upset she wouldn’t be eating and pooping normally, snuggling with me, flopping around on her back purring while she relaxes on the floor, that kind of thing. I’m still not used to how much cats sleep, I guess, let alone a cat who is at least 12 years old, and think of sleeping as a sign of “lethargy” and therefore “depression.”

I keep forgetting that in so many ways she really is the exception to the rule for everything I read about cat behavior. “Boy. Lots of stuff changed. Well, my human is still here, I’m still getting fed, so. This is fine, I guess.” Just a total chiller. As I’m typing this I am eating dinner and she has hopped up onto the chair next to me. After determining that my dinner is too spicy for her, she has curled into a little croissant shape and gone back to sleep.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here she is exploring the unfurnished/unfinished catio. I’ve got potted catnip and other things I need to bring over and then I’m going to make her some places to sit. I guess I’ll need my own patio furniture, too, but, you know. Baby steps. I still have stuff in boxes!

Attachments

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, as mentioned in my previous post, I think I really have just been overthinking this. She's clearly not thrilled that I'm gone and has lots more to say to me when I'm home, but I think a lot of my concern has been from a lack of cat knowledge, mistaking "this is how much a 12-year-old cat will normally sleep" for "she's depressed and lethargic!"

She's getting more comfortable in the new spot and I'm sure once she adjusts to the vertical space in particular - she has way more windowsills, shelves, perches, and cat trees to climb now than she used to - it will be more fun for her to explore the apartment during the day. But she's eating normally, grooming normally, litter box habits haven't changed, and I assume if she were depressed she wouldn't spend so much time sleeping on her back happily wiggling her paws.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as mentioned in my previous post, I think I really have just been overthinking this. She's clearly not thrilled that I'm gone and has lots more to say to me when I'm home, but I think a lot of my concern has been from a lack of cat knowledge, mistaking "this is how much a 12-year-old cat will normally sleep" for "she's depressed and lethargic!"

She's getting more comfortable in the new spot and I'm sure once she adjusts to the vertical space in particular - she has way more windowsills, shelves, perches, and cat trees to climb now than she used to - it will be more fun for her to explore the apartment during the day. But she's eating normally, grooming normally, litter box habits haven't changed, and I assume if she were depressed she wouldn't spend so much time sleeping on her back happily wiggling her paws.
Yeah, if she was actually depressed you would know it without doubt. She would sulk around, not want to eat, possibly urinate on your bed/clothes/other belongings, and may not groom herself properly or even stop grooming entirely depending on how traumatized she was feeling. It sounds like she just needs a bit more time to fully accept her new surroundings, but seems to be doing just fine.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I mean, she's definitely sleeping more. Which makes sense - moving is stressful for everyone! It takes a lot out of you! But other than that she seems to be herself.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When you get home everyday, be sure to greet your cat with pets & play.

PS- Studies by Oregon University show that cats who watch Cat TV, sleep less while their guardians are away.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, we get a good snuggle session in as soon as I get home, don't worry.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Came home from work and she chirped at me and started rolling around on her back purring. I think things are in order here!

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another day where she doesn’t appear too traumatized. She’s definitely eating more, maybe stress eating, but she also did just move for the first time in her life. Other than that, turns out 12 year old cats sleep a lot. Who knew?

Attachments

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, we've hit our first snag, I think because I was also gone a lot this weekend. She didn't sleep well last night, waking up meowing loudly around 4:30am and not stopping until I carried her into my bedroom. As I was getting ready for work she marched into the bathroom and started meowing at me in a frantic tone, and then sat on my lap to try to prevent me from leaving when I was putting my shoes on.

I wish I knew what she was saying when she gets all cranky like this, or how to help!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alright, we've hit our first snag, I think because I was also gone a lot this weekend. She didn't sleep well last night, waking up meowing loudly around 4:30am and not stopping until I carried her into my bedroom. As I was getting ready for work she marched into the bathroom and started meowing at me in a frantic tone, and then sat on my lap to try to prevent me from leaving when I was putting my shoes on.

I wish I knew what she was saying when she gets all cranky like this, or how to help!
Sounds like separation anxiety.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah - it's weird to me that it popped up after a few weeks but that's what I'm thinking, too, and, again, likely because I was gone for a lot of the weekend. I'll see how she's doing when I get home from work.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will add that one frustrating part is that she's often quite aloof when I am home - I think I got back around 3pm yesterday after a few hours of errands and she was all riled up when I walked in, but then promptly napped until around 7 and then wanted to go check out the catio until around midnight. Every hour or so she would run back into the house to make sure I was still there and then, satisfied that I was, would go back out onto the catio for another hour. It's like... buddy, I'm right here, you can come hang out with me!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like separation anxiety.

My cat I would just hold & take with me on my next trip BUT he is super cuddly & attached to me....... & he does have separation anxiety. What helps him most is his brother. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Can you make a special ringtone before you leave for a trip &/or arrange for a cat sitter? That way she can know when you are leaving for a weekend trip or not.

ObeseChess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She might have just been in a mood because when I came home today everything was totally normal. She was happy to see me, got about ten minutes of snuggles, and then wandered off. My downstairs neighbor, a cat person herself, independently reports that she never hears Sassy crying and often sees her strutting around happily on the catio and peeking out the windows.

When big trips happen, I will likely leave Sassy with my mom as she is familiar with the people, house, and neighborhood (my mom was her work from home buddy before I moved back out and I plucked Sassy out of that cul de sac years ago) or will have my mom come cat sit - I only moved about two miles down the road.