Leaving a kitten by himself?

fs626

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My wife and I have a ten year old female cat, T, and just got a new 5-month old male kitten, M. The introduction has not gone well, so we are going to start over (as people suggested in my other thread). However, I plan to start working again soon, meaning that we would have to leave the kitten by himself in a room. Is this harmful for his development? Please advise, thank you!

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat lives in a bedroom, and as kitten, stayed in a kennel while I worked for safety. They'll protest; sure, but it's not harmful IMO. Set up enrichment though

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fs626

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat lives in a bedroom, and as kitten, stayed in a kennel while I worked for safety. They'll protest; sure, but it's not harmful IMO. Set up enrichment though
can you elaborate on what you mean by enrichment please?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had kittens confined to a single room during the introduction process. I've never left one alone (I prefer to have pairs of kittens so they can entertain each other a bit), but he should be fine.

As Albus&minnie Albus&minnie says, enrichment really helps. My kitten room is set up with a scratching barrel, cardboard scratchers, ball chase tracks, multiple levels for exploring and climbing, two litter boxes, blankets, cat beds (and a human bed), blankets, a radiator bed and assorted toys. That, coupled with a good play session before and after work, should keep your boy happy enough. Just make sure to spend time with him when you are at home to make up for it ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You briefly mention it here, but having read your other thread, you really have no choice but to either keep the kitten in a room by himself, or the older cat, as you have to ensure they won't have any contact with each other while no humans are home.

And since the kitten is the newbie in the home, it would be less stressful for your older cat to have to have her normal access to the home, and keep the kitten in the kitten-proofed room. As long as he has food, water, litter box, kitten-safe toys and a place to sleep, he will be fine. A cat tree, or something he can use to look out a window would probably be appreciated. And maybe leave a radio on in the room, so he's not in complete silence.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't hurt to put him by himself in a kitten proofed room. Extension cords not easily available or unplugged, no poisonous plants, if in a bathroom...toilet lid down, no small objects that can be swallowed, breakables put away. Provide toys for him to play with, keep several in a plastic bag with catnip to refresh them and exchange often, a heated bed provides hours of comfort, (they don't want to leave it!), food, water, and a litterbox. Even a cat tree if it can be fitted in. This won't be a permanent thing, as soon as your cats get along they can be left together, so you are doing everything alright!

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All great suggestions. I also think he is meowing because he hears a human outside of his room. If you are not in the house this might decrease.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I mentioned in the other thread, millions that live in studios adopt kittens and many of those folks work long hours -- tends to go with living in studio in a city. Its not ideal, but cats are not dogs and do better in this situation than a dog would. As mentioned, try to make the environment have as much cat stuff to do as possible which may help spare furniture, drapes/curtains etc. (not to mention being better for the kitten)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fs626

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all! I will go out this weekend to get things to spice up his room. I have no problem spoiling him :)