Leaving 2 cats for 2 nights with someone checking in — is that OK?

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My partner and I have two cats together (Ladybug, a 5yr old girl & Kitty, a 10yr old girl). We are going out of town this upcoming Friday for a family wedding and will be home Sunday. Normally I would ask a family member to catsit, but we are all going to be at the wedding. The friend I felt comfortable asking to catsit is out of town as well.

I do have a friend who is able to come check on our girls Friday and Saturday. They have an automatic feeder and several bowls of water, and I’m going to ask my friend to make sure Kitty gets a portion when she comes since Ladybug can be a bit of a food hog.

All that is to say—is this OK? I know it’s not ideal, but I feel better knowing they have each other and that someone will pop in each day to at least check on them once.

Thank you so much! ❤ Photo of Ladybug for gratitude :)

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I do have a friend who is able to come check on our girls Friday and Saturday. They have an automatic feeder and several bowls of water, and I’m going to ask my friend to make sure Kitty gets a portion when she comes since Ladybug can be a bit of a food hog.

All that is to say—is this OK? I know it’s not ideal, but I feel better knowing they have each other and that someone will pop in each day to at least check on them once.
Yes, it's ok. Better still, have your friend to come in the next few days before you leave so that your cat can get use to the scent and presence of your friend which is important so that your cat will not freak out when the door opens and it's not you.

Also instruct your friend to clear the litterbox each day and also have clean water for them and make sure that their dish is also cleaned.

Have a camera installed would be a good idea.

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it will be fine. The friends I've asked also feed them. I have an auto feeder, but with two cats I've been unable to use it. I've been in the hospital as long as a week, and my kitties were fine.

SundaesPerson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's fine. Just make sure your friend comes in, cleans the litter box, fills up their food, gives them fresh water each day and gives them some pets. 😀

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Better still, have your friend to come in the next few days before you leave so that your cat can get use to the scent and presence of your friend which is important so that your cat will not freak out when the door opens and it's not you.
I completely agree! :agree:

Also by having your friend meet the cats and visa versa you will be able to see how they interact which hopefully will give you peace of mind while you're gone. Be sure to leave the phone number of your vet just in case an emergency should arise. Show your friend where you keep the cat carrier too. I was watching a co-workers 4 cats and ended up having to take one of them to the vet so it's good to be prepared. Thanks for the pic of Ladybug and enjoy your family weekend. :rbheart:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Adding on to the reply by neely neely on leaving the phone number of the vet, leave some money too just in case the sitter has to bring the cat to the vet unless you have prior arrangements with the vet about payments or you have credits with them. Hopefully this is not needed.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yea this should be fine 🙂 my neighbour and I have frequently done this. It's hard to get someone to stay over sometimes.