Leaving 2 cats alone for a day

BeccaT

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel very silly making this post but I'm a very paranoid and anxious cat owner (and person in general) so I work myself up over these kinds of things.

So, there's the possibility that me and my husband will be away from home from the morning until evening (not staying away overnight) very soon and I don't know how to handle their food situation while we're away. We've never left our two cats alone for more than a couple of hours before, and when we previously were away from home for an entire day, we only had the one cat and she was still free feeding as a kitten and was totally fine and able to regulate her eating.

Our second and new(er) adopted cat really loves her food. I often have to intervene during their meal times because second cat will sometimes try to eat her sister's food, even before she's finished her own. I'm confident if I left out a large amount of food, she'd overeat and be sick from it and not leave enough for her sister. Because of this, I'm conflicted on how to handle their food while we're away. I usually feed them 3 small meals a day, one wet and two dry. If we're away for the day, they'd be missing their middle wet meal, which I'm okay with for just one day but we don't have an auto-feeder to feed them at the same time. The closest we have is something like this but it often needs to be shook for more to fall out when the bowl part gets low, and we only have the one. Should I use this, or put various bowls of dry food spread out around the house? Or give them one big meal before leaving and not feed them until we're home in the evening? As I said my biggest worry is that second cat will eat the most and leave our first cat hungry.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are fine if left alone all day. Lots of people have to go to work, school, etc. Just leave a bowl of dry food out in case the cats get hungry. If one overeats, she'll just have an upset tummy for a day or two at the most. If the other one is hungry when you get home, that's fine too. Cats don't need to have a full tummy all the time. A little hunger pang is healthy for him.