Leave it out or pick it up?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm now in 6 weeks with Delilah. Since I suspect a possible chicken or wheat allergy, I wanted to get her food changed. I got her transitioned from Hills Science Diet to Fussie Cat Quail and Duck for her dry (I'm a bit more limited in her ingredients because I'm seafood allergic and don't trust the generic "fish meal" and "fish oil" for having something I'm sensitive to). Thankfully she seems satisfied with that (knock on wood).

So now I'm working on the wet. She likes Crave but even the Turkey and Turkey/Duck have chicken hidden in them and I'd like to give her more variety than just chicken. So I had put her back to Fancy Feast temporarily since they have chicken/fish free flavors (and almost all turkey). But now after some research, I found some foods for her to try that are much better for her. For dinner, I gave her some of one of the new foods. She took a few bites of it, then walked away. In general I feed her 4 to 5 times per day, small meals with the last being dry for nighttime snacking (she was free feeding at the shelter)

Now here is my question: Do I leave the wet food out, in case she wants more, or just trash it and let her wait until her bedtime kibble? I gave her 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can (she's 7 pounds) and I don't know if maybe this new food was more filling and I gave her too much... or she just didn't like it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd leave the canned food out. It's a cooked product so it can be left out all day unless the weather is super hot and muggy. Toss any uneaten food at the end of the day.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can leave the wet food out for a couple hours with no issue. Then, depending on hot hot and humid it is in your home, you can possibly leave it out longer. Some people leave it out all night. I don't but some folks do. Depending on her age, she might not need to eat so often,unless she really isn't eating very much at all at any given time. Mine eat three meals per day, period. But they are adult cats. I do feed them their last meal around 10:30 p.m., which lasts them until breakfast, which is somewhere between 8 and 9 a.m.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know if this is coincidence, but one night I left out ff for 4 hrs and she threw up right after. the can was in the fridge then I brought it to my bedroom to eat later. It smelled very fishy though fish is not in it. Left over food from the night before so only half the 2 oz tray was eaten

Last edited:

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I don't recommend leaving wet food outside. Especially in the summer. It attracts insects to the house for one thing. And it allows some bacteria growth. I put the leftover wet food back to the can (or a sealed container) then put it to another container and put it in the fridge. Take out 1-3 hours before the next meal so it will warm up on its own. If Hima gets hungry earlier I warm it with a bit hot water.

Also, my cat always puked when she ate wet food that was left outside an hour or more longer than usual. I don't think it's necessarily because there was something really wrong with the food but maybe the taste/smell makes them uncomfortable enough to get nauseous and puke later.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Midwest where sometimes 100 degrees in the shade during summer is cool. You know between 2 rivers. Anyway I only leave wet food out for 20 minutes and then bring inside. And I stay out there with them when they eat the wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is all inside. I took Delilah out on a harness this week out the front door for the first time. She's OK with the harness inside. Outside she looked around, game me an "I'm on the wrong side of the door" look, then practically reached for the doorknob herself.

Anyhow I left the food for about 3 hours and she wouldn't touch it. This morning I gave her a small amount from the in can leftovers. She wouldn't touch it. I know she's hungry because her dry is empty and the treats I leave in her carrier for her are gone. So I guess this food may be a no go for her.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trying offering her different foods. Sometimes a new food needs to be offered a few times before they will eat.
I am lucky, sometimes a new food is eaten straight away, others, I need to offer a few times.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far out of 4 cans I've found 1 she ate, and ate it a second time (Merrick Cowboy Cookout).

I've had to do a bit of extra research due to my own allergies. My allergy sheet says specifically "catfish" and "crab". "Ocean whitefish" is a category of fish that can include catfish. Since the more specific "salmon", "tuna", and "herring" don't show on my list I may add that into what I try (in limited amounts). "Ocean whitefish," and the generic "fish oil" and "fish meal" are still out for me because of the catfish possibility.

To be honest I don't know what would happen to me if I had contact with catfish or crab (I don't eat seafood at all), but I don't want to suddenly find out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the chart here for seafood-free foods:

Is it handling seafood what triggers your reaction? Or inhaling seafood smells? If it's handling, does spooning the cat food into a bowl still trigger a reaction? Could wearing gloves and a mask or some sort as an additional preventative layer help?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know. I don't eat seafood, period. I've never liked it, but the allergy test confirmed the catfish and crab allergies.

My parents would eat tuna, sardines, salmon, and herring. The smell generally made me nauseous, but that was it. I haven't had a reaction beyond that because I generally just avoid seafood, period.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Seafood in general isn't good for cats anyways. An occasional seafood treat or meal is ok.

Seafood in some form in in a lot of cat food, especially canned foods. Sometimes it's just fish oil or something. Cats like the stinky fish smell. Many people find fishy smells :barfgreen: to some degree.

Rawz canned food has no seafood in it: RAWZ | 100% Rendered Free Cat Food The brand is pricey though and only a few online sites sell it if a local independent pet store doesn't sell it.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The problem is a lot of the brands have it, even if it's just fish oil. Thats what I like about Crave.

I'm hoping she isn't allergic to chicken. That really limits the options more.

Tomorrow I'm taking her to the vet. I've been trying to keep her chicken and wheat free but today she was rolling around and squirming, then pulling herself across the rug with her claws while laying on her side, then licking and nibbling random spots. She'll do that for over 5 min straight, then get up like nothing happened, then do it again an hour or so later unless she's sleeping. No fleas, unless something bit her, but she has her treatment for the month.