Leash-walking Cat

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm having a bit of a dilemma deciding whether or not to take one of my cats on walks on her harness and leash.

For starters, we just built them a large catio (about 80 square feet) on our second floor balcony which they both absolutely adore. The two of them don't exactly love each other, but will tolerate each other if it means they can both be in the catio. So it has been a huge success.

Coffee is the more timid one, and Maui is constantly in her face annoying and chasing her, so sometimes we put Maui's harness on her to slow her down a bit (she can still move around perfectly fine, she's just not AS fast) to help Coffee gain some confidence being around her, and it is helping tremendously. This also means that Maui has gotten very used to wearing the harness, so she is comfortable in it and clearly can't slip out of it.

Yesterday, out of curiosity, I attached the leash to Maui's harness and carried her outside onto our patio. I let her walk around and sniff things and look at bugs, play with grass, etc. She seemed to love it. I can tell it would be something she would grow to LOVE doing if we continued this activity together.

However, I'm concerned that she will try to get outside without the harness or leash on, if I keep taking her outside myself; I will never let her exit the door on her own, I will always be carrying her outside, to set some boundaries that she is only to go outside when I say she is. The problem is that she already usually greets us at the door when we come home, but doesn't try to get out, and I'm nervous that taking her outside on the harness will spark something in her that wants to go outside on her own and she will try to slip out whenever she can. I don't want to deprive her of an activity she will really enjoy, but she also has the catio now to allow her some outside time; the difference is that there is no grass or trees or other real "nature" stimulation up there (other than really good bird watching and some bugs flying around), and OUR patio seating space is downstairs, out of the line of sight from the catio.

Wondering if I should continue trying to leash train her and hope she doesn't try to get out on her own and attempt to deter her from trying, or if I should stop now before she gets too used to it and she forgets that she's not allowed outside.

IMG_2807.JPG

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is definitely possible to harness train your cats to go on walks. Sounds like you're already halfway there! My biggest piece of advice is to never ever let her outside without her leash, so she associates the 2 as one being necessary for the other. My cat will run out the door sometimes and stop in his tracks to wait for his leash now. It's just routine for him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
so sometimes we put Maui's harness on her to slow her down a bit (she can still move around perfectly fine, she's just not AS fast) to help Coffee gain some confidence being around her, and it is helping tremendously.
Good for you!!

My biggest piece of advice is to never ever let her outside without her leash, so she associates the 2 as one being necessary for the other.
:yeah: :agree:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh and your cat is so PRETTY!!! :loveeyes::loveeyes:
Thank you, she definitely knows it! :lol:

[QUOTE="My biggest piece of advice is to never ever let her outside without her leash, so she associates the 2 as one being necessary for the other.[/QUOTE]

Do you think she needs the leash on in the catio too, then, or just when she's OUTSIDE outside?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would the leash get caught on anything in the catio? - maybe instead you could put the leash on, get her to the catio and take it off once there. Cats are smart - she'll make the connection that truly outside is different than in the catio.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's sat in the catio with the harness on no problem, the only issue with trying the leash like that is that we designed the catio so that they can go out through the window, whenever they please, as long as the window itself is open.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the only issue with trying the leash like that is that we designed the catio so that they can go out through the window, whenever they please, as long as the window itself is open.
Oh, I didn't realize you have such a nice arrangement - lucky cats!!

So, if the window is closed and there's an entrance from the yard, that would be the instance to have the leash on, from the door of the house to the entrance of the catio, but if I'm reading your post correctly and you don't have an entrance from the yard, then nope, no need :)

I love your landscaping on that porch.
I agree :thumbsup:

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You might want to get a clicker and feed them treats while on a leash to make it a positive experience. The moments she gets outside or escapes remain calm casually throw a couple of treats by your feet she will come close to you at that point gently pick her up. That's what I did with my cats at the beginning. Cats are very quick at picking up your vibe especially when something different is going on so just like pretend nothing happens, kindly catch your cat and walk inside.

Taking out your cat on a leash is the best compromise it's safe and the cat will be very happy.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is a bit off topic but I love your landscaping on that porch. any chance you can get a picture of the whole porch?
Oh thank you so much!! I actually couldn't get a photo of the whole thing, but I took two from different angles for you!

Attachments

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she is pretty treat motivated so that could work, definitely would need to stay calm though as she is pretty good at evading capture if she knows I am trying to pick her up...

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second the clicker training idea. If you can get her to associate the clicker with, "come back to me and I'll give you treats", then you have taught your cat the heel command. This will be so valuable when you get her outside and she's got so much else to explore and distract her.

You can clicker train her indoors to start. Then the first walks outdoors, I would keep them in your yard and make sure that the clicker training still works when there's so much else to inspect. Only after you're certain she'll listen to the clicker, that's when I'd graduate to walks outside your confines.

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luc Luc daftcat75 daftcat75

That's a great idea! She's actually so treat motivated that I've taught her sit, high-five, low-five, and "pick a paw," where she guesses which hand the treat is in - she gets it right about 90% of the time! So I'm sure that I could train her to come to the sound of the clicker. Thank you!

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is pretty treat motivated so that could work, definitely would need to stay calm though as she is pretty good at evading capture if she knows I am trying to pick her up...
At the beginning I offered my cat treats and grabbed him in a tense and quick way. He took notice and the second time he escaped and I offered treats he did not fall for it and did not come close so I changed my approach. You want to deescalate.

Try not to point your feet at her when you want to catch her don't scream or yell as long as you stay calm and gently pick her up you will be able to do it again and again when needed.

Now my cats go out every day, obviously they are not dogs and do not always come to me when I call them but when they do I gently pick them up and take them home when it is time. They are totally ok with me " getting them back home".

stephmnichols

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will try all of this, thank you!

Side note, does anyone have any advice for stopping Maui from chasing Coffee anytime she moves? Like I said, we put the harness on her to slow her down a bit which is helping Coffee, but we don't want Maui to have to wear it all day. So all was going well, Coffee upstairs, Maui downstairs, but as soon as Maui heard Coffee using her scratcher upstairs she bolted off the back of the couch and raced up there! Coffee jumped onto her perch to get away, and Maui sits on the ground nearby. So rude! I've been putting her harness on her as soon as this happens to show her that if she isn't going to behave she will have to wear the slow-kitty vest, but does anyone have any other tricks? Once she is fixated on Coffee, toys and treats don't tend to distract her...

Burts

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just ordered a more non invasive harness, I put the harness on my cat and onto the grass and he was all wobbly lol....I took off the harness and just letem walk around the grass, he doesnt run off as hes quite docile...

He has a catio and outdoor cat tent but he has anxiety or allergies, he licks and scratches himself and been throwin up frequent hairballs recently...I give him cbd 150mg but still ansy cat..

Hoping walking in the yard will brighten his life up...He purrs and purrs loud on the grass

Ummm now hes by the catio door meowing lol...dammit

Last edited: