Leash Training?

apokalypsepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since my soon to be 2 week old kitten, Ardeshir (Ardy), is going to be an inside kitty, I thought I'd leash train him so I can take him outside and let him exeperiance the big, wide world. Only problem is, I don't know how.

I've leash trained dogs, goats and halter broke horses. Are cats similiar? I'm going to use a harness like you would on a small dog, what would be the best brand/style? How to you get the cat to cooperate?

I've seen cats walked on leashes, so I know it can be done.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Here's a good article on leash training to get you started: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/harness-and-leash-training-for-cats

Although, at 2 weeks, he's still far too young and dependent on mom, plus he probably hasn't completely figured out walking yet.

You should probably hold off on taking him out until he's had his first boosters. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a collar or harness for a cat younger than about 8-12 weeks. Once he's big enough, though, there are tons of harnesses you can try to see what works.

I know some of our other members here walk their cats on leashes, so hopefully some of them will be along soon to offer some advice.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Roman style small dog harnesses, my kittens usually start going out around 10 weeks. I just put the harness on and take them out, they are so interested in exploring they don't notice the harness. 

I use a flexi lead and just let them wander around the backyard.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apokalypsepony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's a good article on leash training to get you started: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/harness-and-leash-training-for-cats

Although, at 2 weeks, he's still far too young and dependent on mom, plus he probably hasn't completely figured out walking yet.

You should probably hold off on taking him out until he's had his first boosters. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a collar or harness for a cat younger than about 8-12 weeks. Once he's big enough, though, there are tons of harnesses you can try to see what works.

I know some of our other members here walk their cats on leashes, so hopefully some of them will be along soon to offer some advice.

Oh, I'm not starting now. Just giving you guys his age.

I'll start when he's a month or more. I've seen the harnesses (spent $30 on a collar and toys from Petsmart), just didn't know what one would be best.

claraadele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started my cat on leash training when she was 6 weeks old. I found a tiny ferret harness and leash and just let her run about on it. I also worked on her coming when she is called because cats don't tend to heel like dogs.

I started with just letting her wear and get used to the harness. I added the leash on later and she sooned learned that the distance she could go had been minimized. After a while she learned to back up if the leash got taut.

Eventually I started bringing her up and down and around the house and getting her used to following me and coming if I called because she had stopped. Once she was good with that, we started going outside in the back yard, doing the same thing.

I just slowly introduced her to different outdoors areas and stressed the fact that she was not to go outside without her leash and harness on.

I also worked on introducing her to other animals, especially dogs of all sizes.

She's great now! I love bringing her to the outdoor mall we have. She greets all the dogs and only swats them if they nose her behind too much and she never uses her claws. People always come up to say hi, since most have never seen a cat on a leash. It's a lot of fun.

The main thing is just consistency and frequency.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just came in from taking my cat Wiggies for his walk!

We started with our cats when they were about 3 months old. I didn't have any problem finding a small enough harness and a light leash. First we put their harnesses off and on several times a day to get them used to that. Then we started taking them out. They were both scaredy cats at first, but we only took them out for 5-10 minutes, and they got so interested in all the birds and smells and sounds. Nowdays they complain to go out each day and love their walks. We usually give them at least half an hour in the summer.
I use a long dog leash with their harnesses. It has a good, secure clip but it's not too heavy for them to drag around.
Putting a name tag on is a good idea too in case they ever get away.

amazingspice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi- My cat spice was easy to leash train!, she reponded so well, and its best to start young, my cat was started at a young age, Ive got to the stage now were, i can lead her over a jump, and she will complete it, she jumps around 4 times her own height, and clears it too, never knocks the pole down. So leash training from early on can be so rewarding when they are older, my cat is around 2 years-3 years, so she jumps amazingly, when she reaches around 5-6 years old, i will retire her from jumping, but shes amazing! so leash training has worked amazing!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby is harness trained and I take her for walks in the yard around the house. She knows when I get the harness it's time to go out. :)

I started by putting the harness on her and leaving it on for an hour or so at a time in the house. I got an "H" style harness rather than the figure 8 style. It fits well and does not put any strain on her throat. I think it is also called the roman style.

After she was used to the harness itself, I attached the leash and let her drag it around the house - did this a few times until she was used to it before taking her outside.

She resists coming back in the house and has slipped out of the harness a few times. I tightened the girth on her belly last time and had no problems. She loves going outside with Momma. <3

ericat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued Boy in December just over two years ago, he was about 2 months old at the time and feral.  It took a lonnnnnnnng time for him to realize that he could trust me implicitly.  That went a long way to harness/leash training him the following spring. 

I would choose a quiet time of day, when he was well rested, playful and not anxious.  I spoke to him gently and held him securely while putting the  harness on him.  At first we only went outside for a few minutes and I held him close in my arms, the poor wee lad was terrified.  Soon enough he was interested in being on the ground to investigate the world around him.  Soon it was like the most natural thing in the world for him. 

In winter he's not too interested in 'outside', unless it's brilliantly sunny and not too snowy or cold.  Spring comes and he'll stand at the front door, staring longingly out through the glass.  (Our screen door is glass all the way down.)  Even if he's asleep, if I ask, "Does Boy want to go outside?", he's right there at the front door, meowing and waiting for me to put his harness on him.  When I want him to go in a certain direction, I walk that way and say, "Boy, come.", and he does. 

I'm now training our 10 month old rescue, Swizzle, to appreciate the harness.  She's starting to like to get down out of my arms to check things out, but I have to remain close or she panics, poor baby.  Before long, she and Boy will be enjoying the yard together.  Funny thing is, in order for my dog to be well behaved when we're sitting in our front yard I have to have her off leash.  So, there I am, with a beer in my hand, two cats with harnesses tied to a peg and a loose dog.  Usually it's the cats who are loose and the dogs who get tied up.  lol

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am having trouble putting the harness on my kitten, he's totally fine with the leash being clipped on after though :/