Learning Question About Queens

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never owned a pregnant cat nor do I ever intend to. But, if the need comes for me to foster, I have a question. I have learned so much on this site already, so I hope you all don't mind me learning more.
I bred horses for many, many years. When a mare comes into 'foal heat', she almost always gets very loose stools and the milk sours a little. Causing the foal to have loose stools.
Does this happen in cats also?
I've noticed in other threads about pregnant cats, that if diarrhea is mentioned, the first thing all of you say is either worms or antibiotics. So I'm thinking that this isn't the norm for a cat.
Would any of you be kind enough to help me learn?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure I know what "foal heat" is, even if I did rode and know horses decently. You mean, a mare whom already has a foal with her, but gets into a new "heat"?
As this can certainly happen with cats, as you surely know.

OK, I havent heard much about this complication with cats. But it doesnt sound impossible, and I shall have my eyes open on this.
Tx for the suggestion and question.

Ps. Sorry nobody noticed as yet about this your question. Norachan noticed today there was no answer as yet. And our wish is every post gets at least one adequate answer.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have never owned a pregnant cat nor do I ever intend to. But, if the need comes for me to foster, I have a question. I have learned so much on this site already, so I hope you all don't mind me learning more.
I bred horses for many, many years. When a mare comes into 'foal heat', she almost always gets very loose stools and the milk sours a little. Causing the foal to have loose stools.
Does this happen in cats also?
I've noticed in other threads about pregnant cats, that if diarrhea is mentioned, the first thing all of you say is either worms or antibiotics. So I'm thinking that this isn't the norm for a cat.
Would any of you be kind enough to help me learn?
I dont know this phenomena, but for me it sounds as more probable, its not the milk which get sour, but its an overflow of hormones; which apparently among others cause loose stools. So momma is full of them, and some goes into the foal too with the milk - that is why the foal ges loose stools too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We called the diarrhea the 'scours', because...well, it's nasty. I've never actually had a foal that got this, but I do know about it and have seen it many times.

I'm presuming that this doesn't happen with cats. So, when a kitten who is on mom gets diarrhea, it's not from a heat cycle of mom. Correct?

Thank you for answering my question.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I had never heard of that. In calves, scours is caused by e. coli or salmonella. So I looked it up. . .this article says that it's not caused by the mother being in heat; the timing is just a coincidence, because bottle foals get diarrhea about that same age too. They say it's caused by the foal's GI flora changing as he matures. I would guess that it has more to do with horses being herbivores and so that wouldn't apply to cats or other carnivores. An herbivore needs very strong gut flora! Anyway, that's just my guess, based on what I know about rabbits, lol---rabbits have very particular GI systems too, and the babies need to eat an adult's poop (eww) to populate their own gut with the proper bacteria.

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/10221/foal-heat-diarrhea

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They mention a Preparation H (in the end of the linked article), which protects the skin and soothes the irritations. What is it?

I understand its something very useful for horses and foals, may it be useful for cats and kittens too? Sore bottoms and such? Perhaps even sore teats??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ

Preparation H is made for use on hemorrhoids. That is what the "H" stands for. I cannot think why it would be used on cats or kittens. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hemorrhoids arent common in cats, but sore bottoms are quite often there. The question is if there is anything harmful for cats. IF not, it could perhaps be useful even if it from beginning wasnt produced for cats... And even if there are other products suitable, for example udder balm or coldpressed organic cocoa oil.

Perhaps even on myself?? :)

After all there are products produced for other usage, which are useful on cats. Pedialyte is one example. Simethicone is another. Anti-bacterial/antivirus fluids (virkone) for cleaning after contagious diseases may be another example.

Why, when looking after saddle soap on the horse product shelves I found 100% pure liquid paraffine, which is important remedy against even severe constipations - vets use this. The difficulty for an amateur is to find food grade paraffine. OK, I looked it up, and found the producer makes also bottles for veterinary use. So I mailed them. They answered its no real difference, there are no additives in the liquid paraffine for leather care... One such bottle is not that cheap, if you use it just once, but for someone whom has many cats or does much rescuer work, its no big deal...

StefanZ StefanZ

Preparation H is made for use on hemorrhoids. That is what the "H" stands for. I cannot think why it would be used on cats or kittens. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps. A quick Googleing shows Preparation H is really human medicine, its not from beginning made for horses.

I think the question stands as an open possibility. The problem is, its made with several different receipts. Some with theoretical potent ingredients. So its not enough to just recomment "try with Preapration H", you must know exactly which brand to recommend, and which to avoid.
And it depends of course, on which brand is accessible in the local Pharmacy....

So the search must continue. :)

Ps. We in Sweden do have of course something similiar, but its not called Preparation H, but perhaps Hydrocortizone 1%. Which is one of the several different receipts for P.H.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Preparation H has some kind of vascular constricting properties, I wouldn't use it on cats. Horses can't lick their own butts :D. Desitin (or other diaper cream brand) should be OK though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And there lies the difference. A foal's first poop is usually within a couple of hours, and they do it on their own. No need for mom to stimulate. I have seen scours so bad that the hair has been stripped from the legs all the way down to the hocks. Applying either Corona or Bag Balm is done.
I don't think Bag Balm can hurt a cat. When my son was 2, he decided to stick his hands in the bag balm and give one of my cats a mohawk hair style. (this was before digital camera's or cell phones with a camera and I had no film). Once I stopped laughing, I cleaned off as much as I could and the cat licked the rest off. It never affected him. And since it's used on a cow's udders, this may be worth looking into.