Lazy Playing

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get my cat Caine to be more active, but he's more of an opportunistic hunter. I have to get the toys or the laser pointer 6 inches away from him before he'll lift a paw. He's on the chubby side, 15 lbs on a large frame, so I'd love some suggestions for toys that can burn off some calories. He's about 5 years old (adopted <1yr ago as an adult, age unknown).

His favorite thing right now is the laser pointer. He'll get on top of his cat tower and chirp at it until it comes close to him, and he won't take his eyes off it until it "runs" into the other room. But a few little pounces (plus getting on and off the cat tower) is all the exercise it gives him. Kick toys (even with catnip) and toys on strings are no longer worthwhile prey. He used to play with string toys more, but now he'll only bother when he's already in his favorite chair and the toy comes to him, so that he can lay down the whole time. He gets bored after no more than 5 minutes so I can't keep up the little amount of exercise it gives him.

He does have a daily hyper running episode, which is good for burning calories as far as i can tell, but it seems like a sign he needs some more stimulation. Does anyone have suggestions for toys he'd enjoy? Or is it not about the toys, and more just an old cat thing that can't be helped (aka time to diet)? Thanks so much!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried Da Bird, or something like it? It is the one active toy that my couch potato canNOT resist! The trick to it is that you MUST "become" the prey on the other end of the stick. Hekitty goes back and forth betwee the "bird" and "ground prey," and knows immediately if I'm not moving it the right way.

socaffeinated

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm struggling a bit with this as well, so will be watching this thread. My cat also loses interest in toys quickly and has stopped actively chasing some old favorites...

One game that shes really into right now is moving a stick under a duvet/cloth cover. I poke the stick a little out from under the cover and retract/change positions when she pounces. If you do it quickly enough and space out the distance they get a little cardio lol. A variation is to cover her with a sheet and move the stick around her (make sure to make a scratching sound against the sheet!) I think she finds it interesting because she needs to really rely on her ears to track the "prey"

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Gwen was really picky about toys. The only ones that she would reliably play with were the laser pointer and her cat dancer.

I second the recommendation to try to make things more interesting by 'hiding' the toy. Juniper is fascinated when the laser pointer 'runs' under the couch or around the corner, and we sometimes also play with it in/around a pile of unfolded blankets, so that the laser can 'hide' in the wrinkles and she can pounce on and deflate the blankets.

Bigfangs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try Da Bird toy. I also have one lazy feline, and this toy makes her leap into the air lol.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or is it not about the toys, and more just an old cat thing that can't be helped (aka time to diet)? Thanks so much!
:yeah: At five years, he isn't that old. I'd try to slowly get the extra weight off of him, and he'll feel better and get more active.

I let my "lazy boy" get up to 16.5 pounds by the time he was 12. :oops: He never was a terribly active cat, but he did turn into a slug with the extra weight. It took over a year to get him back to his healthy weight at 12.5 pounds. Now at almost 14 years old, his eyes are brighter, he moves around a lot more, and he is interested in chasing a string toy again.

It should be fairly easy to get your cat down to a healthy weight since he is younger. :redheartpump:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your cat an indoor or outdoor cat?
Due to their semi-feral background, Toffee and Fudge were indoor cats until later this spring. When they were still inside, Fudge's play was similar to your cats, though the toy that he did like playing with was a feather wand. I think wands are great to keep cats stimulated, but Fudge became more active and adventurous once he started becoming more comfortable outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is your cat an indoor or outdoor cat?
Due to their semi-feral background, Toffee and Fudge were indoor cats until later this spring. When they were still inside, Fudge's play was similar to your cats, though the toy that he did like playing with was a feather wand. I think wands are great to keep cats stimulated, but Fudge became more active and adventurous once he started becoming more comfortable outside.
I know that he spent some time outside, since he was a stray when someone brought him to the shelter I adopted him from, so it could be that he was semi-feral too. Unfortunately I live in a condo complex, and although there's a yard which would be great to let him out in there's no way for me to fence it off so that he doesn't escape. I'll consider harness training him, but he is very timid and easily frightened so I'm worried about him slipping out of the harness. He seems to prefer looking and meowing out a slightly-open window, where he feels safe and in-charge.

I can't get him a feather toy (like Da Bird which some people suggested, thank you for the recommendation) because when he does show interest in a toy he rips it apart with his teeth, so I always test out new toys by tugging on any fur or loose bits to ensure that he can't swallow anything. Do you know of any hyper-durable and safe feather toys? I think for now I'll just go to the store and pick up a few new toys, like the velvety spring ones, or maybe a battery powered mouse. There are a few things I havent tried yet. Thank you!

Adway

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A really out of the 'box' - kitten joke intended - & random suggestion... Get another cat perhaps? It will make life interesting for him? Also, when he feels that there is competition in life, he will start moving his butt around a bit?

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A really out of the 'box' - kitten joke intended - & random suggestion... Get another cat perhaps? It will make life interesting for him? Also, when he feels that there is competition in life, he will start moving his butt around a bit?
I'd love to! Unfortunately, I'm only financially secure enough to comfortably provide ideal care for one cat right now. I'm a 20 year old recent university graduate studying under my mother's financial support to get further certification to start work in 6 months. If I still want to, this is a decision I should be able to make in about a year. For now I'll have to find other means to help Caine be as happy, active and healthy as possible. ^ ^

meto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I solved the issue of him having no interest in his old toys! Hoping this can help some others in the same situation.

The toys werent moving fast enough. It doesnt matter what type of motion or type of toy, just speed. I used his same old toy on a string attached to a wand, just decided to give it another try after the new ones I bought today didnt work out, and he didn't have any interest until i made it move so fast that he had trouble following it. Then he was jumping off the chair and back on, tumbling around, attacking it with his full body like he used to.

I guess he's just too good at hunting to bother with simple challenges lol

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
GOOD JOB! Sometimes it is just a matter of finding out what they're Ultimate Payoff is, and you found his!

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The toys werent moving fast enough. It doesnt matter what type of motion or type of toy, just speed. I used his same old toy on a string attached to a wand, just decided to give it another try after the new ones I bought today didnt work out, and he didn't have any interest until i made it move so fast that he had trouble following it. Then he was jumping off the chair and back on, tumbling around, attacking it with his full body like he used to.
I am absolutely going to give this a try!! Mine went from constantly playing to chubby slug.