Lazy 10 Months Old Kitten

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Merlin has recently become quite lazy. Last month he had a couple of health issues, but now he's fine. However, he gradually started to play less and less.

He still plays of course, but I really have to commit! He gets bored with toys all the time and I have to buy new ones. Today I got him to play for like 10 minutes chasing a fake butterfly, but it was a miracle, and anyway he didn't jump and run too much.
He now prefers to pounce and plan attacks rather than running around.
Is this a normal development in a 10 months old cat? What toys should I try?
He doesn't like too much fishing-pole games (he used to, months ago), neither balls or mice. He loves to interact and is always meowing for attention, so I feel bad: am I too boring for him?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No you are not too boring, Mr Merlin is a prima donna. He wants you to do all the work. Do you give him treats, if so, throw them one at a time around the room and make him run for them, he will be getting some exercise and have fun at the same time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might consider getting him a full body x-ray, focus on his spine. My Sweet Gum was cranky+, and we thought of arthritis. Since she wasn't quite a year old, the vet wasn't that keen on it the expense. However, it turned out she has arthritis on three vertebra. We got her some joint medicine dasuquin which is similar to cosuquin adn is over the counter. Huge difference, she stretched in the backwards arch that she'd never done before, she got a lot less cranky. She can jump up and down 5 feet. It's just something to think of.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First off, let me say, Mr. Merlin is gorgeous! :catlove:

I haven't had a kitten in a long time, so not sure when they start to lose their kitten silliness, but is it possible Mr. Merlin is still recovering from his health issue?

About playing with cats, here's some TCS articles that might be helpful:
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)
How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)
How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might consider getting him a full body x-ray, focus on his spine. My Sweet Gum was cranky+, and we thought of arthritis. Since she wasn't quite a year old, the vet wasn't that keen on it the expense. However, it turned out she has arthritis on three vertebra. We got her some joint medicine dasuquin which is similar to cosuquin adn is over the counter. Huge difference, she stretched in the backwards arch that she'd never done before, she got a lot less cranky. She can jump up and down 5 feet. It's just something to think of.
I was thinking about it. The fact is, he CAN jump and run if he likes. When I open the door of the "forbidden room" (a storage room), he runs like hell to get inside. And he jumps to get food, if he's really hungry. Did your cat do that? I am not sure, because maybe he's hurting and hiding it.

No you are not too boring, Mr Merlin is a prima donna. He wants you to do all the work. Do you give him treats, if so, throw them one at a time around the room and make him run for them, he will be getting some exercise and have fun at the same time.
V verna davies is right about chasing treats. SG was always up for chasing treats (not the low calorie/low carb kind) no matter what. She did it so well, we've had to go treatless for awhile.
That's a nice idea. I could try. He would do anything for food!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she did that. She'd chase the treats for as long as I'd throw them. Truth is, I think she was born with the arthritis because I didn't notice the slight curve in her spine until after she got the medicine and straightened out. Nor did I realize she'd never done the arching back U stretch - the one where it looks as though they are trying to touch their head to their back near their tail.

One other thing I noticed was she would get really cranky tear your hand off cranky ( she doesn't have any Persian or soft breed in her) when it was getting ready to rain or storming. She was never bothered by thunder.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At his age he is into hunting and pouncing. When was the last time you tried wand toys? I have toys scattered like cubes-anything that he can hide and use his hunting skills. Shipping trash is also good to hide in. If you play with a wand toy,act like it's a mouse. Move it around fast on the floor then slowly stop. Some cats will stare at it a long time before pouncing.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she did that. She'd chase the treats for as long as I'd throw them. Truth is, I think she was born with the arthritis because I didn't notice the slight curve in her spine until after she got the medicine and straightened out. Nor did I realize she'd never done the arching back U stretch - the one where it looks as though they are trying to touch their head to their back near their tail.
You know what, I am not sure he ever did that either. He's not a big stretcher. I will ask his vet about this. I was thinking about doing an x-ray because he's a scottish straight. I believed only scottish fold got the gene for ostrochondrodysplasia (similar symptoms), but I've heard that sometimes they got the gene but the ears didn't fold. Or something like that.

At his age he is into hunting and pouncing. When was the last time you tried wand toys? I have toys scattered like cubes-anything that he can hide and use his hunting skills. Shipping trash is also good to hide in. If you play with a wand toy,act like it's a mouse. Move it around fast on the floor then slowly stop. Some cats will stare at it a long time before pouncing.
I tried a wand toy this afternoon. He doesn't run and jump anymore to get it, but if I hide it under some cloth he goes crazy and follows it.
That's the point: with other toys now he stares a lot, and then does a single attack. So you believe it's kinda normal at this age? To be honest, he used to be more active as a kitten, but he was never a CRAZY athletic cat.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
All 3 of my cats were more active as kittens. Their hunting skills had not kicked in yet. Now it's hunt,catch,kill,nap. So,their mostly playful before their meal. Maggie is the only one who still likes to play at night

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a laser pointer? I have yet to meet a Cat that did not react to those. I can't speak for everywhere, but if you're in the US you can often find them very cheap (under $3) at pet stores or sometimes places like Rite-Aid or Family Dollar.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried a laser pointer? I have yet to meet a Cat that did not react to those. I can't speak for everywhere, but if you're in the US you can often find them very cheap (under $3) at pet stores or sometimes places like Rite-Aid or Family Dollar.
I would like to try one, but isn't it a bit frustrating for a cat? I mean they can't catch the red dot!
Anyway, today I tried again the "cat tunnel", which he used to love. We haven't played with that toy for a while: now he loves it again. He went totally crazy and we played peekaboo :biggrin: finally we both had fun (well, for 10 minutes)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the laser pointer be sure to end the game with the red dot on a favorite ball or small toy kit can bat or throw.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SG does three runs up and down the hall and that's it. That's always been it. It doesn't happen two days in a row. What held her interest totally and completely was when a mouse got in the house. She chased him for four hours before he ran into the bathroom with my sister and she was able to catch him in a plastic bowl. Mouse was exhausted but thrilled to be released in the yard. Apparently, he told his friends because no other mice have come into the house.

'Drat', said Sweet Gum.

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Juniper often prefers to stalk and pounce for long stretches as part of her playtime. She often spends at least a third of her playtime sitting still and just watching the toy or laser or whatever. But you can see that she's really engaged and if I do it long enough, it usually inspires her to run around.

K Kflowers , have you thought about getting your SG one of those little robotic mouse toys? I'm sure it's not as fun as a real mouse, but it's probably much better for you!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've thought about it, and are thinking about it. You're right, will not be getting a real mouse with mouse house. No pocket pets, SG has made her view pretty clear. ;)

Honestly, I thought the mouse was a lizard at first. But when they finally raced out of the study through the bedroom to the bathroom and into the shower... The mouse ran up the pseudo- glass shower door and I could clearly see it was a mouse. It balanced on top of the frame. I stepped back to discourage leaping to me. Unlike some cats I've known, SG can't climb glass. A long half minute's pause and the mouse leapt to the cabinet and out. From there it was down the hall, sees Sis and turns into the bathroom and rescue.