Laying on my chest when I'm in bed

astrid79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure if this situation is common or rare. My nine month old kitten will not let me sleep on my back. If I turn from my side to my back, she sees it as permission to sit on my stomach or chest. She gets comfortable but I can't fall asleep with her there. I'm a tosser/turner and if I do fall asleep and turn over, she gets knockoff, meows like she's disappointed, then leaves. She returns quickly and waits very patiently for me to end up positioned up on my back.

It's been causing sleep problems for me. Anyone know if this is common or should I have her looked at. She was at the vet at the end of March and seemingly O.K.

She likes her food but dislikes toys. I feel I'm doing things right but her clinging so seems unnormal.

Thanks for any input!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's very common behavior and probably stems from kittens sleeping in a pile for warmth. Does she like acrylic/fleece blankets? I've had luck moving cats that like to sleep on me to a blanket at the foot of the bed. After a while they accept it as "their" special spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

astrid79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't tried fleece. Everything has been cotton or a blend so far. I think I'll invest in it though since she's been costing me sleep.

Thanks for the suggestion!

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. It's within the spectrum of "normal" behavior. :D My cat sometimes likes to come sit or lie on me when I'm in bed lying on my back. If you think of it from their point of view, it's a nice spot to sit on sometimes or relax and lets them close to you for comfort. Surprisingly, you may in time get used to it if you don't figure something out...I wasn't able to sleep at first or go back to sleep if my cat was sitting on me, but now I fall back asleep in the morning when she sits on me. For some reason, she loves to sit on me in the mornings...?_? Also, it's possible your kitten might just stop doing it or do it less when she becomes an adult. 

I forgot to mention that maybe you could try putting something on your chest so she doesn't sit there...I'm not sure what, but maybe you can try rolling a sweatshirt into a ball and see if that works...

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very normal!  I've had 2 cats who were "chest sleepers" as kittens.  As Mooch grew she moved progressively farther down until like now; she sleeps/lays on my lap.  It did take encouraging from me.  My DH is allergic to cats so they aren't allowed in the bedroom.  I'm sure she would sleep on top of me if she could be in there.  

crazycatfellow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Midnight likes to sleep on my chest. He'll be stretched the long way from my belly up my chest and rest his face on my face. He's a snugglebug and likes to cuddle with me. I have the socialized ferals get into bed with me. This morning I awoke to one curled up sound asleep snuggled next to me on my bed. One of them will get on my chest, flop over and nuzzle my face. I have some of the most loving cats and the ferals can't get enough of me. It's a major accomplishment and a wonderful feeling to have once feral cats getting up on/in the bed with me, even better when they'll get on me and sleep on me.

Only problem is I can not sleep on my back. I'm a side sleeper. I have to put him off me to turn over and sleep. One morning I ended up on my back and he got on my chest to sleep. I also tend to inhale their dander and fur they are shedding especially with Midnight because nearly half his body will be over my neck with his face in/on mine. :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It took some digging; but I found this picture my husband took of Mooch and I napping on the couch almost 8 years ago!  So she was 2 here.  As you can see; she's a big cat. 
I also have a picture of her trying to lay on my belly about a week before my DD was born; but I'm not sharing that one. 

rhian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sadie will sleep on my chest at night as well. I can't sleep on my back either, so I have to wait for the 5-20 minutes it takes her to wander off to her usual sleeping spot before I get any sleep! She's just too darn cute to move, I love having all of that purring right up in my face before going to sleep.