Laxatone

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can I use laxatone for constipation? One vet suggested Miralax, but I thought I might try the laxatone. She doesn't have hairballs but about two weeks ago had to get two enemas for her constipation.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Our Vet had us use both Miralax AND Laxatone when our guy got pretty backed up. Together they worked great. Once he passed a WHOLE BUNCH of stool, then she told us to keep giving the Miralax daily to keep him regular, and just use the Laxatone once a week or so, which doesn't happen as it should because he doesn't really like it much.

Are you feeding your cat wet food or dry. If dry, try to either increase the amount of water he drinks or try to convert him to wet food. It's much better for cats who get constipated.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Vets can vary in their practices, but my vet recommended Miralax although he said that laxatone could work short-term. He believes that laxatone is better used for hairball relief. Miralax works by drawing water into the stool making it softer and easier for the kitty to pass. It’s important that your kitty is well hydrated as mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens says.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would 'vote' for Miralax first (1/8 tsp mixed with a bit of water, then added to food - start with once a day, and then increase to twice a day if needed, and then go from there. Some cats require 1/4 tsp once or twice day). But there is likely something causing the constipation, and that would be the more ultimate solution long term. Be that more water/moisture in your cat's diet, or some other underlying issue. If this is a more recent problem, looking at what changes were made to her foods prior to the enemas might be a place to start.

There are a number of illnesses/diseases that can trigger constipation, so if your cat - especially if she is older - has not had a full spectrum vet exam (physical, blood work, urinalysis) that might be another thing to do - if for no other reason than getting a baseline for the future.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alana0011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. I've written about Amber before although I didn't mention her in this post. She has early kidney disease and always eats canned food, never dry. She got fluids last week and I will get her to the vet this week as well. She's had blood work done, and after her enemas, the vet did not feel any masses. (she had thought what she was feeling was a mass but it was poop)
After her Solensia injection for arthritis, she is still making some vocalizations but otherwise acting normally. One vet thinks she has hyperthyroidism and the other one doesn't. Her blood work was good and showed no abnormal levels of thyroid.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Perhaps it's pain that is causing the constipation. If it's painful for her to "assume the position", she may be holding it in. Hopefully the Solensia injections will help with that. Early kidney disease doesn't help either. Most kidney cats have this issues (all mine did). Have you tried adding extra water to her canned food? That's good for kidney cats anyway since they always seem so thirsty. But my kidney cats were on a daily regimen of Miralax, 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon dissolved in a little water then mixed into their wet food, twice per day. I did wonders for their constipation issues. I did need to vary the amount because sometimes their stool became too soft.