Lauric Acid Resistance?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this belongs here but I wanted to know if it's possible for fleas to build up resistance to lauric acid. I've been using it for a few years now (coconut oil actually) and it always helps to keep the fleas away.

But last year, it took a bit more coconut oil to manage the fleas. I want to use it this summer again since I currently have fleas in my hair and I've found some dead ones in my bed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Given that it seems fleas have built up a resistance to certain flea treatments in certain areas/regions, it would stand to reason they could build up immunity to other types of flea deterrents. Or, the product you are buying has reduced the amount of lauric acid that was once contained in it. Compare some different products and see if the one you are currently using contains as much lauric acid as the others. If not, try another brand/product with the highest level of lauric acid you can find.

Just curious, how are you treating your cats for fleas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I comb through their fur and remove as much fleas as I can. Then, I apply coconut oil to the areas where the fleas frequent the most. That usually does the trick. If it doesn't, then I go to the vet and get flea medication but it rarely comes to that.

They always come in on the dog so as long as the fleas on the dog are handled, the cats won't get any. I've kind of just been busy so I forgot fleas existed for a brief moment.