Late introduction

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just realized I never made a post here and just jumped right in asking a bunch of questions! 😅

Hi everyone! I have spend 10 wonderful years with my first cat Blathers (nicknamed Boogie) and hope for lots more! I adopted him at around 9 months (estimated age), and he has been the most perfect first cat for any lifelong cat fanatic. He's never been picky about litter, strangers, other cats nor moving! He's never played with cords nor counter surfed, and politely waits for his meals quietly. For a few years I had to move from USA to China and back, and he was the perfect little guy for the whole 13 hour trip (one way!) He doesn't cuddle and don't like being handled but is mega clingy and super gentle giant even if someone is bothering him.

One story I always like to bring up when I first visited the shelter to meet him: The shelter was an hour away from me and closing soon so I rushed out of my job and drove over to meet him. When I finally sat down with him, a volunteer told me that there was a family driving all the way from another state to meet him later as well. Holding my first cat in 21 years, I blurt out "I'll take him!!" Not the most thoughtful decision in retrospect but I'm so glad I chose him!

Boogie has lived shortly with other cats at different times in his life due to my roommates, and has always extended a gentle sniff and paw of friendship at the very first meeting:angelcat:Sadly those gestures were only returned by 1 of 4 kitties, but I'm hoping to soon adopt a good fit for him as a permanent friend now that I'm living on my own. He's definitely much happier with a kitty friend, and are still learning "how to cat" as an early senior by observing them!

Whenever I get into something, I love to REALLY get into it, so I'm so happy to find this community where I can really soak up as much information as I can! For whatever reason I've been obsessed with cats ever since I was little even tho no one in my family has pets. I used to doodle cats all over my dad's work documents when I was a toddler :catlove:

Attachments

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We've already "met" in one of your other threads, so I guess this will be my "official" : Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Blathers, aka Boogie, is pawsitively gorgeous. You certainly lucked out when you made your quick decision to adopt him. :petcat:
Hopefully in time you'll find the purrfect new companion for him. :catlove:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is beautiful and you are so lucky to have such a 'good' kitty! The chances of getting another like him will be slim, so take your time. it should be another male, as they buddy up, females are more standoffish and diva-like. You will hopefully have a chance to observe a new to-be cat, they should be calm, (if a kitten, as calm as they can be) friendly and not too bold, and not shy either. I would pick a shy one over a bold one for a good match, you don't want your older boy bullied. Kittens are more readily accepted by an older cat, but they can be a handful and annoy them too. an older calmer male would be good too, but you need a lengthy introduction. But we can help you with that too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, he is beautiful and you are so lucky to have such a 'good' kitty! The chances of getting another like him will be slim, so take your time. it should be another male, as they buddy up, females are more standoffish and diva-like. You will hopefully have a chance to observe a new to-be cat, they should be calm, (if a kitten, as calm as they can be) friendly and not too bold, and not shy either. I would pick a shy one over a bold one for a good match, you don't want your older boy bullied. Kittens are more readily accepted by an older cat, but they can be a handful and annoy them too. an older calmer male would be good too, but you need a lengthy introduction. But we can help you with that too!
Yes for sure! 3/4 of the cats he's been around were girls, and only 1 tolerated him. They never played but she never show disdain towards him. The other 2 girls were either extremely scared of him, or bullying him so much that his personality almost changed (I quickly moved once I noticed that!). I've visited a few shelters around me, and met a few younger male cats that might be a good match for him. The one I think might be the one is just over 1 year old, and a very sweet and loving guy who gets along with the other cats, any humans, and even kids apparently. He reminded me of Boogie because at 1 year old, Boogie was quite chill and low energy :lol: It's definitely an exciting yet nerve wrecking feeling, as you never know until they eventually go thru introduction steps!