Last Straw

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm at the end of the rope with my cat. For the last two months my cat has been pissing all over my house at random times. This past week alone she has pissed on my floor for three consecutive days.
My cat...
-has been to the vet
-no changes to litter brand
-litterbox is clean

I don't know what to do and I'm getting close to kicking her put of my house. Nothing has changed for the last two months but I can't handle all this piss. Literally every other day is another puddle to clean. I searched ways to fix this or what may be causing this, but nothing helps. None of the reasons listed apply to her. If I can't get any answers here then the next step is an animal shelter.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May I ask some questions? How old is this cat? How long have you had this cat? Have there been changes in your home or routines that could be affecting her - things you might take for granted, but maybe she cannot? Also, when she went to the vet did they run a urinalysis/urine culture and blood work? If so, do you know what the results were?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
May I ask some questions? How old is this cat? How long have you had this cat? Have there been changes in your home or routines that could be affecting her - things you might take for granted, but maybe she cannot? Also, when she went to the vet did they run a urinalysis/urine culture and blood work? If so, do you know what the results were?
My cat is 2 years old and I had her since she was a kitten. When we went to the vet, she was tesetes negative for all diseases. The only real change i can think of when I invited people over to my house for a small get together. Will that affect her?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cat is 2 years old and I had her since she was a kitten. When we went to the vet, she was tesetes negative for all diseases. The only real change i can think of when I invited people over to my house for a small get together. Will that affect her?
Having people over could cause a problem if she is not used to it, or if one or more of them bothered her somehow (from her perspective). Did the small get together you have happen right before her problems started? How does she do around other people in general?

So, they did a urinalysis? It is really important to know whether or not they did a urinalysis - as that can tell a lot about what might be going on with her inappropriate peeing. It can identify crystals in the urine, an infection or possible inflammation, as well as blood (that is not visible), among other things - all of which can cause peeing issues.

How is she eating and drinking - and pooping?

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Having people over could cause a problem if she is not used to it, or if one or more of them bothered her somehow (from her perspective). Did the small get together you have happen right before her problems started? How does she do around other people in general?

So, they did a urinalysis? It is really important to know whether or not they did a urinalysis - as that can tell a lot about what might be going on with her inappropriate peeing. It can identify crystals in the urine, an infection or possible inflammation, as well as blood (that is not visible), among other things - all of which can cause peeing issues.

How is she eating and drinking - and pooping?
I appreciate your help on this. My cat is nervous about people in the beginning but starts to socialize after 10 mins of watching them. The get-together happened 2 weeks before the situation started.

The vet did perform a urinalysis, and nothing was found.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks - that helps some. It kind of makes me think she is a bit skittish and the get-together could have started an issue with her. The first thing you need to do is to get enzymatic cleaners to clean all the spots she has peed on where she shouldn't have. Sometimes, when cats pee - for what ever reason - outside their litter box, they go back to those same spots to pee again. It is like an invitation to go there again and again!

Cats also change litter box preferences - seemingly out of no where. So, I would get a second litter box and place it either beside her other box, or nearby - or, even in one of the locations where she has peed inappropriately. You'd be amazed how many stories I have heard about cats all of a sudden deciding they want to have one box to pee in and another to poop in!!!

The other thing I always advise anyone who has this problem is to really take a deep look at what is going on not just inside your home, but also outside. For instance, have you changed working hours, changed any perfumes/lotions/etc? Is there any cats or animals that are roaming around outside, or even new cats in your building, if you are in an apartment. Construction nearby? Where does she pee and is it in the same areas - are they by doors, windows, soft materials like carpeting/rugs? You get the idea...

If I were you I would also ask the vet to send you the test results, and you can even share them with us on this site, to see if we can see something that maybe the vet is overlooking because your cat is so young. Is this vet a new one, or one you have gone to before? Sometimes, it can be as simple as getting a second opinion from a vet in an entirely different practice to see something in the test results that didn't look suspicious to the first vet. You just never know.

You didn't say - is she eating/drinking/pooping OK. How is she acting otherwise?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks - that helps some. It kind of makes me think she is a bit skittish and the get-together could have started an issue with her. The first thing you need to do is to get enzymatic cleaners to clean all the spots she has peed on where she shouldn't have. Sometimes, when cats pee - for what ever reason - outside their litter box, they go back to those same spots to pee again. It is like an invitation to go there again and again!

Cats also change litter box preferences - seemingly out of no where. So, I would get a second litter box and place it either beside her other box, or nearby - or, even in one of the locations where she has peed inappropriately. You'd be amazed how many stories I have heard about cats all of a sudden deciding they want to have one box to pee in and another to poop in!!!

The other thing I always advise anyone who has this problem is to really take a deep look at what is going on not just inside your home, but also outside. For instance, have you changed working hours, changed any perfumes/lotions/etc? Is there any cats or animals that are roaming around outside, or even new cats in your building, if you are in an apartment. Construction nearby? Where does she pee and is it in the same areas - are they by doors, windows, soft materials like carpeting/rugs? You get the idea...

If I were you I would also ask the vet to send you the test results, and you can even share them with us on this site, to see if we can see something that maybe the vet is overlooking because your cat is so young. Is this vet a new one, or one you have gone to before? Sometimes, it can be as simple as getting a second opinion from a vet in an entirely different practice to see something in the test results that didn't look suspicious to the first vet. You just never know.

You didn't say - is she eating/drinking/pooping OK. How is she acting otherwise?
Yes, she is eating and drinking okay. I didn't take into accountant the number of fireworks as well. That could be part of the reason.

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you run any calming agents in your home such as Feilway or Comfort Zone diffusers. That might help her de-stress.
I didn't know those existed. Can you recommend any products that helped you?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feliway and Comfort Zone are brand names of diffusers. You can also check out other calming products - just do an internet search for 'cat calming products'. Not all work on all cats, so there is always some experimenting to do!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress can absolutely cause a cat to not use the litter box. Can you limit get togethers at your house? When you do have them, lock the cat in the bedroom with everything she needs (food and water, litter box, toys). Play some soothing music on a low volume via a radio (does anyone still use those?) or other means to help drown out the noises from the get together. There are more tips on minimizing stress here: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, thank you for the advice everyone. I brought enzyme cleaner to remove any lingering cat piss. I brought both a calming collar and catnip diffuser. I read on another site that I needed another littler box, so I got that as well. I will let you know any updates once I try the products.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. Please do keep us updated. There are many other things that can be suggested to help kitty. Cats are very protective of their human and their home. When they do anything that is outside their usual behavior, it is their way of trying to communicate with you. Kitty is desperately trying to tell you something, it just takes time to figure out what that is. I know the urinating is a problem but since you have loved for and cared for her since she was just a baby, I know you must be just as desperate to keep her close to your heart for life. Hang in there. These things have a way of being worked out. BTW we love seeing pictures of kitties! Hint, hint! :)

Reina’s Kittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My daughter's cat started doing that one day and I was FURIOUS about all the things she was ruining and all the money I spent trying to get rid of the smell. I tried Feliway and that helped for a while, but it is expensive.

Her cat always had a skittish, easily spooked personality. I also realized this behavior happened more whenever I bought something new into the house, like new furniture etc.

Anyway, what finally worked and has worked ever since ( been 3 years now) is this: Petworld or somewhere like that had a sale on dog kennels. I got one with enough room for bedding and a ltterbox. The idea was to give her a space that was all her own...her own scent...private,,,secluded...a safe zone. It was not used as punishment. However, in the beginning I began to recognize her distressed look and I would have my daughter put her cat immediately in the kennel to regroup/calm down.

Eventually, her cat knew when to put herself in the kennel. These days she does not need it, but just knowing it is there, JUST IN CASE, helps her tremendously. We recently got two kittens and I was worried that she would begin that behavior again, but she did not as she has her safe zones and the kittens have theirs. I also bought some calming chews that shockingly worked and we were able to get her through the adjustment period much more easily.

Good luck!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Are your litter boxes covered? Some cats do not like that and need room , twice their length. Also more than one litter box. Good luck! Be sure to give her lots of tlc!