Last night er vet visit

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all... i don’t know what to say. I went to the vet er last night because my baby girl was lethargic, had a fever on Thursday, and was limping. She’s only 9 months old. The vet said that she has a heart murmur but it might be from being at the vet. She was saying maybe cancer but she’s young. She had a fever 104. She said that the symptoms were vague and it could be anything. They’re doing bloodwork and I have to watch her for 24 hours. The vet said if they don’t find anything that it’ll be more tests and everything just to find out what it is. Things have been tough financially; I’m not working and my mom is on disability. She’s eating fine but I haven’t seen her poop. The vet said her leg is fine and that her nails were long and probably got caught on something and she hurt her leg that way. Usually I have to rescue her because she always gets stuck. She’s sleeping now but it looks bad; when I got home her leg was bothering her. She was a foster failure and we had her since she was 4 weeks. She had a respiratory infection when she was little. She usually uses my hand as a pillow. She only wants cuddles on her terms. She’s a feisty softie and my baby girl. I don’t know... I’m so scared to lose her and I’m so tired. I keep checking to make sure she’s okay and I know she’s tired. I can’t do this emotionally.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, hon, I'm so sorry!

I don't know if you've seen these, but in case not maybe there's something;

(apologies for any dead links);
Financial Assistance – Day By Day Caregiver Support Inc.

Financial Aid for Pets

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

About Waggle | Vet Financial Assistance | Financial Aid For Pets

and I'm sending all my prayers, hugs and hopes for all of you!!
Thank you I will look at those. I just need more time with her and I'm trying to be strong for her.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did they give Crissy anything for the fever? Did they want you to check it at home while you watch her? If so, did they explain how you can do that? You can also take cool compresses and place them on her underside for a minute or two to help with trying to reduce the fever. Or, even gently rubbing a damp cloth over her, the evaporation of the dampness has a cooling effect.

If she will drink, try to entice her to drink as much as possible as it will help keep the fever down somewhat. Even add some of the water from canned tuna or chicken to her regular water to see if she will drink more that way. The extra fluids might help with her pooping if she by chance is a bit constipated. Is she peeing OK?

Crissy is a pretty girl, btw! And, I am glad to hear she is eating fine - that is a good sign!

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Did they give Crissy anything for the fever? Did they want you to check it at home while you watch her? If so, did they explain how you can do that? You can also take cool compresses and place them on her underside for a minute or two to help with trying to reduce the fever. Or, even gently rubbing a damp cloth over her, the evaporation of the dampness has a cooling effect.

If she will drink, try to entice her to drink as much as possible as it will help keep the fever down somewhat. Even add some of the water from canned tuna or chicken to her regular water to see if she will drink more that way. The extra fluids might help with her pooping if she by chance is a bit constipated. Is she peeing OK?

Crissy is a pretty girl, btw! And, I am glad to hear she is eating fine - that is a good sign!
Thank you. The vet didn't say anything like that. They gave her fluids 100ml and an antibiotic injection that lasts 2 weeks Convenia. She peed twice since we got home. I'm going to rub her down now, she's really warm. Thank you.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have read articles that suggest doing that, but I have never tried it. If you do it, don't do it while she is damp, and keep it a distance away from her.

There are internet guides on how to take a cat's temperature with a pediatric rectal thermometer, if you think you would be comfortable in doing so.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have read articles that suggest doing that, but I have never tried it. If you do it, don't do it while she is damp, and keep it a distance away from her.

There are internet guides on how to take a cat's temperature with a pediatric rectal thermometer, if you think you would be comfortable in doing so.
I tried an ice pack but she wasn't having it. She's not drinking chicken water either. I'm going to leave her alone for a little bit and syringe some water if she didn't drink by then. I really don't want to stress her by checking her temperature.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I tried an ice pack but she wasn't having it.
Better off with a damp cloth to rub over her - much less drastic. If you were to try the ice pack idea again, place some ice cubes in a zip baggie, set it inside a towel until the towel is cool, and use the towel not the ice cube baggie.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Better off with a damp cloth to rub over her - much less drastic. If you were to try the ice pack idea again, place some ice cubes in a zip baggie, set it inside a towel until the towel is cool, and use the towel not the ice cube baggie.
That's a good idea, thank you!

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
SHE POOPED! I've never been so happy for poop :wavey:. I'm keeping a piece in case the vet wants it. She's a little better, she came downstairs for dinner and she's still eating well. I syringed some water into her. Thank you everyone for your support, I'll let you guys know what the vet says when she calls.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said that she has an infection and inflammation and if she still has a fever to bring her to my regular vet because it'll be cheaper. She needs more tests. She's sending bloodwork so I'll post when I get it.

Mochiandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update everyone: she didn't send the bloodwork but she sent it to my regular vet. I just remembered that my cats have feline herpes and now she has the eye gunk associated with that virus. Crissy is so much better though. She was playing, drinking water, eating dry food by herself (she would only come down for treats and wet food), and she's kneading the blanket right now. Lol the vet cut her nails and now she can't grab anything. My mom says she looks so much brighter now and I can finally breathe! I know to keep looking after her, I go back to work tonight, and I will go to my regular vet when I get paid. Thank you everyone for your support and helping me through this tough time. :thanks: