Last chance for wall peeing beauty

Nickatnite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a last ditch effort to avoid the death penalty for my mother's beautiful male long haired cat. His name is Trouble and it fits. He will go into the litter box, turn around and let's loose. Unfortunately he doesn't lower his rear end and goes all over the wall. My mom has newspaper, plastic bags, shower curtains and whatever else works up on the wall, but this obviously is a job to clean every time and my mom is 86, making it more challenging.
Anyone have any ideas on what to do? My mom has put up with it for about 6 years now and she has had enough. I will add photos soon. - Nick

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's hardly a reason to kill a cat. I hope she'll look into getting him into rescue instead if she really thinks she can't keep him. He sounds lovely, and uses the litterbox reliably, even if he is a high pee-er. Someone out there would love to have him.

Has she tried a covered box? That's the usual remedy. If taking the cover off is too hard for her, cutting a hole in a large plastic tote also works.

Puppy pee pads are also great. Still have to be cleaned up, but much less mess.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried a high-sided box instead of a standard litter pan? I like the sterilite storage bins because they’re a good size and cheaper than other brands. You can cut down one side or end for entry if the cat can’t jump easily. Tape one end of a plastic sheet or puppy pad to the wall and drape the other end inside the box. That way the pee that goes over the side of the box will run back in. I usually tape the end to the side of the box since my cats tend to dig underneath the edge otherwise.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nickatnite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's hardly a reason to kill a cat. I hope she'll look into getting him into rescue instead if she really thinks she can't keep him. He sounds lovely, and uses the litterbox reliably, even if he is a high pee-er. Someone out there would love to have him.

Has she tried a covered box? That's the usual remedy. If taking the cover off is too hard for her, cutting a hole in a large plastic tote also works.

Puppy pee pads are also great. Still have to be cleaned up, but much less mess.
I will have to ask her about everything she's tried, but she's using a high plastic tote right now. Also, he's been to the vet and they suggested the same thing. I don't think she's tried a covered box. We both love cats and this is not taken lightly, but it's wearing on my mother who is already stressed.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know there was a Jackson Galaxy show about a cat doing this but I can't remember if the real issue was something medical or some problem the cat was having with the litter type. Maybe the cat has arthritis and can't squat well.

For my cat I have a litterbox cabinet that her litterbox slides into and the door had a hole for her to go in and out.

To clean the inside of the cabinet (I have back issues and can't bend much) I slide the box out, then I take a swiffer (yes the floor cleaner with the pad on a stick), put some paper towel or one of the dry wipes on the end, and spray it with enzymatic cleaner. The swiffer allows me to wipe down all of the sides, top, and back with little bending.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We both love cats and this is not taken lightly, but it's wearing on my mother who is already stressed.
It's understandable for an elderly person to not be able to keep up with a cat who has unusual cleaning needs, it just seems odd to me to jump to "let's kill him" (it is NOT euthanasia unless the animal is suffering, just plain killing) instead of "let's call a cat rescue".

I have several high pee-ers, it's fairly common. Puppy pads are my friends! Actually, I buy the big box of incontinence pads (sold for humans) from Sam's Club because they're a lot larger, and generally cheaper.

Is the lid to the tote still around? I'd just try putting that on there and see how it goes. If the lid isn't around, maybe the lid to a different tote or even a thick piece of cardboard wrapped in plastic or foil would work. It may only need to go over the back part of the box, depending how determined he is.

Nickatnite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This has been something she's been having to deal with for over 5 years now and she wants to move. Has anyone here tried getting a new place with cats ?, not to mention cats that pee all over. She has 4 cats and NOBODY wants to rent without insane fees or cat rent. For now she's stuck.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does he pee all over, or just high-pees in the litterbox? Peeing all over is a different situation. At any rate, if she really can't keep him, she should contact a cat rescue. Or even a shelter would be better than putting him down; if he's good-looking and personable he'll get adopted. I have some doubts about her vet if they're the one saying he should be put down. That's not something an ethical vet should be willing to do.

Unfortunately, landlords are allowed to discrimate against pet owners in the US, and it's nearly impossible to find a rental that allows more than 2 cats (and just finding that is hard enough). Some people will lie in the application and/or sneak an extra cat in. But finding one that specifically allows 4 cats. . .probably not going to happen, sadly. But renters' rights are a whole different topic really.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tall tote and cut a 10" diameter round hole in the top of the lid (for entry and exit). It's the only thing we have been able to come up with due to the same problem you have. And it's worked now for several years.

Nickatnite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does he pee all over, or just high-pees in the litterbox? Peeing all over is a different situation. At any rate, if she really can't keep him, she should contact a cat rescue. Or even a shelter would be better than putting him down; if he's good-looking and personable he'll get adopted. I have some doubts about her vet if they're the one saying he should be put down. That's not something an ethical vet should be willing to do.

Unfortunately, landlords are allowed to discrimate against pet owners in the US, and it's nearly impossible to find a rental that allows more than 2 cats (and just finding that is hard enough). Some people will lie in the application and/or sneak an extra cat in. But finding one that specifically allows 4 cats. . .probably not going to happen, sadly. But renters' rights are a whole different topic really.
Tall tote and cut a 10" diameter round hole in the top of the lid (for entry and exit). It's the only thing we have been able to come up with due to the same problem you have. And it's worked now for several years.
I will certainly suggest that, thank you !

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
My boy Forest, in my banner below, stands up to pee too. I got a giant plastic tote box with a lid and made a litter box out of that for him. The clear plastic ones seem to be easier to cut. Use a Stanly knife but heat it up so that the plastic cuts cleanly, rather than splitting. The tote boxes on wheels make it easier to move them around and clean them.

If you find he doesn't like to use a box with a lid get some of those puppy pee pads. You can buy a packet of about 100 for a few dollars. Attach them to the wall using painter's tape (available in most dollar stores and DIY stores) so it doesn't damage the wall paper or paintwork. They will absorb any splashes if he manages to pee over the top of the box.

Forest was a rescue that I found dumped in the woods. I always wondered if his owners dumped him because of his peeing, I hope you can work something out for your mother's cat.

:heartshape:

Nickatnite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy Forest, in my banner below, stands up to pee too. I got a giant plastic tote box with a lid and made a litter box out of that for him. The clear plastic ones seem to be easier to cut. Use a Stanly knife but heat it up so that the plastic cuts cleanly, rather than splitting. The tote boxes on wheels make it easier to move them around and clean them.

If you find he doesn't like to use a box with a lid get some of those puppy pee pads. You can buy a packet of about 100 for a few dollars. Attach them to the wall using painter's tape (available in most dollar stores and DIY stores) so it doesn't damage the wall paper or paintwork. They will absorb any splashes if he manages to pee over the top of the box.

Forest was a rescue that I found dumped in the woods. I always wondered if his owners dumped him because of his peeing, I hope you can work something out for your mother's cat.

:heartshape:
Hi, thanks for sharing your incidents. I will see if I can find a bigger clear tote and hopefully that will help. Thanks again and you have beautiful babies! - Nick

Nickatnite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, I will try this. - Nick

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a last ditch effort to avoid the death penalty for my mother's beautiful male long haired cat. His name is Trouble and it fits. He will go into the litter box, turn around and let's loose. Unfortunately he doesn't lower his rear end and goes all over the wall. My mom has newspaper, plastic bags, shower curtains and whatever else works up on the wall, but this obviously is a job to clean every time and my mom is 86, making it more challenging.
Anyone have any ideas on what to do? My mom has put up with it for about 6 years now and she has had enough. I will add photos soon. - Nick
I have a 7pd female cat that pees almost to the 13inch marker! She is a pro at it. A storage bin from target or cosco would work. Box should be 2x the length of cat and lots of litter. Find out how high he can pee. Getting one with a cover makes a mess because of all the pee stuck on it. Plus, having no cover lets you check that he's ok. I took my cat in because she was straining to pee. She had UTI. Can't tell with a cover on.

Nickatnite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the idea, I will go and get one of those containers asap. Trouble (the cat) has been to the vet already recently and they couldn't figure out what to do. I'm not around him enough to know if he strains to go, my mom did not mention it. I hardly see him because my mom's cats rarely see other humans and are very timid.