Lashing Out After Death of Companion Cat?

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently live with my partner and his parents. We have 3 cats total. There are 2 that live in the house with all of us and 1 that lives in a workshop in the garage. We used to have 2 out there but one of them had to be put down because of heart failure or something. Ever since he died, the other cat has been seemingly depressed. She meows a lot more and seems slightly distressed. She and her late companion used to be barn cats (not sure if that important). She use to be very cuddly and affectionate. My partner's stepdad doesn't spend a ton of time in the workshop with her. I'd say she's alone 20 hours a day. Recently, she has started attacking us. It started with me. I had some wood working to do in the workshop so I went in there. She kept clinging to me and interfering with what I was doing and when I tried to move her, she lunged at me and scratched me up badly on my leg. I haven't been able to go in there since. Whenever I approach the door and she notices it's me, she will start meowing/yowling loudly and lunging at the door. At first, she was only mad when I went in there but now, she is attacking my partner. She still seems to be okay with his stepdad however. I think I know what's going on here but I'd like more advice on how to help her/fix this situation. I told my partner's stepdad what was going on with her and he witnessed an attack himself yet he seems to think its funny and that nothing is wrong. What should we do?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I don't know the answer – but I would give kitty a lot of attention. Feed her, steam some chicken, try to spend time just sitting around with her and observing her behavior. Animals almost always respond well to kindness and pampering.
Something psychological going on. Her companion is suddenly missing. No other cats — only humans.
Be careful ! Don't get scratches. :catrub:

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That poor girl! She must be so lonely and confused. She needs love, patience, and attention. Cats are social creatures but I don't think it would be safe to bring in another cat with her feeling so insecure.

When is the last time she had a check-up? It would be good to have anything physical ruled out.

Get her self-heating mat and a heartbeat toy. Even if it's warm where you are, she's used to sleeping with another warm body.

Ideally, step-dad should play with and give her attention several times a day but I'm guessing that's unlikely. More positive interactions will help reliever her stress and loneliness. Is there anyone else in the house she's tolerating that could have play sessions with her?

My other thought is to show her your not a threat by adapting the cat introduction guide for a human. Is there is a door from the garage to the house? Put up stacked pet gates or add a screen door to it or even replace it temporarily with a screen door.

Sit outside the door, talk to her calmly, have the door slightly open so you can toss in treats and she can see who's civing them. Slowly get her to remember that you are a friend not a threat. Ask step-dad to give a worn t-shirt of yours and your partners and exchange them every few days. Try not to get upset when she does, just walk calmly away.

Patience is your friend in this.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Patience is definitely your friend, I agree.

This is from one of our articles;
Stlsandy, a TCS member, says her cat Reilly grieved for weeks after the death of their dog, Avery. “Avery went to the emergency clinic and was kept overnight. She passed away there so Reilly didn't get to see her. He cried and searched the house non-stop for two weeks.
The only way I could calm him was to say her name over and over—Avery didn't want to leave you, Avery misses you too—and rock him to sleep. It was heartbreaking to see.” That kind of behavior seems to be the first of three stages of grief cats experience.

The next stage is much more passive. Kitty is less active and prone to hiding out, depressed. Siamese and Burmese are even more sensitive, can lose their appetite, and look sick for several weeks. If this happens, get Kitty to the vet to jump-start his appetite. Cats can’t go more than a few days without eating—the impact on their system is life-threatening.

Due to her having been cuddly and affectionate previously, I don't think her ex-barn cat status has much impact here. Along with the great advice in the posts above, as mentioned can you obtain a purr toy and/or a heartbeat toy?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
That poor girl! She must be so lonely and confused. She needs love, patience, and attention. Cats are social creatures but I don't think it would be safe to bring in another cat with her feeling so insecure.

When is the last time she had a check-up? It would be good to have anything physical ruled out.

Get her self-heating mat and a heartbeat toy. Even if it's warm where you are, she's used to sleeping with another warm body.

Ideally, step-dad should play with and give her attention several times a day but I'm guessing that's unlikely. More positive interactions will help reliever her stress and loneliness. Is there anyone else in the house she's tolerating that could have play sessions with her?

My other thought is to show her your not a threat by adapting the cat introduction guide for a human. Is there is a door from the garage to the house? Put up stacked pet gates or add a screen door to it or even replace it temporarily with a screen door.

Sit outside the door, talk to her calmly, have the door slightly open so you can toss in treats and she can see who's civing them. Slowly get her to remember that you are a friend not a threat. Ask step-dad to give a worn t-shirt of yours and your partners and exchange them every few days. Try not to get upset when she does, just walk calmly away.

Patience is your friend in this.

[/URL]
She had a check-up a couple weeks ago and everything was normal. I believe they did blood work and other things so I'm doubtful that it is a health issue. All of this started after her buddy died. As of right now, she tolerates no one else in the house. I could see if we could purchase a heartbeat and/or purring toy for her. And no, the garage isn't attached to the house unfortunately. I'd have to put a coat and boots on to go out there to her.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My gut reaction when I read her story was to make a safe room for her in the house nd bring her in. Treat her as a new rescue. In a separate building, all by herself, listening and smelling the weather and any wild animals that go by would be an on going stress while adjusting to being in the house could have an end date to her stress.