Laser pointer problems

coolclam

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here is my issue. My cat Jack (4 years old, neutered) does not like to play. I have tried to engage him with many different kinds of toys and he ignores them all. Except the laser pointer. He goes crazy for the laser pointer, chases it all over, gets so excited about it. It is the only time I can get him to play. I have read all the articles about laser pointers being frustrating for cats because they can't actually catch anything. So I try to start out with the laser pointer in the first part of the play session and then switch over to a physical toy. However, it does not work. He will not play with anything else. No matter what I try to use, he continues to search for the laser pointer. He will not go for any other toy or even treats or food. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Other than letting him play with it since in his case he doesn't seem to need the prey drive closure of a "kill" , can you try something else entirely like going for walks?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old that will only play with crumpled up balls and similar items that can be batted around. Or, now, the new kitten.

Probably you could find *something* else if you keep trying things. My four year old played with the catnip banana shaped scratcher that is highly rated on amazon. It got green in spots from him licking it within a few hours and a hole within a week. I'm not sure where I was going with that one . . . but in general I think that cats like what they like, and its not real productive to try to retrain them to toys they don't want to play with.

P.S. A lot of cats love laser pointers, and I think people that are anti-laser pointer are just projecting how they think a cat's mind should work on the cat. Don't project, let the cat decide. And yours has spoken loudly :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat seems to love the laser pointer I would use it to play with him as often as you are able. When he gets tired or frustrated he will quit and I wouldn’t worry about it. And even though he doesn’t seem to like other toys keep introducing something new at least every few months. You just never know what a cat might find fun. If he likes chase games you might be able to teach him to fetch or he might like rolling a golf ball around the house. I introduced my girl to puffy, glittery balls when she was about five and she just went insane for them. There are also great food puzzles that some cats love.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Your cat will stop - if and when he tires of it. Feeby finally figured out she was never going to catch the light, so she just quit bothering. No frustration - just "uh, yeah, no" attitude. But, maybe your cat understands that concept already and doesn't care! Play until he plays no more, if ever!!

nwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This website I saw once said that laser pointers can lead to compulsive shadow chasing.

Coolgram

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with others, if your cat gets bored or frustrated with the laser pointer he'll just stop playing with it but as long as he loves it, I say go for it. My Gracie also loves the laser. Last week she kept trying to look underneath the couch and chair cushions. I turned them over trying to find what she was looking for, but couldn't find anything. It occurred to me that she might be looking for that red light because when we're playing with it sometimes I would shine it along the edge of the cushions. Cat psychology 101!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
There are also auto laser toys that can produce random patterns with the laser on the floor to keep a cat entertained while you have other things to do.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally don't use laser pointer toys because when Treasure was around he half blinded himself staring directly into the source of the beam no matter how I held it. So I"m not trusting of them, tbh

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unroll a length of TP and drag it in front of him. That should work.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alot of cats LOVE yarn. Just playing with them with a piece of it on a stick. Or even not on a stick. Or if you really love them let them attack the whole yarn ball and make a big mess.

Another thing I notice picky cats like that are hard to entice to play is these wiggly worm things. But do not leave the toy out with them unattended they can break the worm and eat the parts.

Once you have a stick to attach it to you can buy them super cheap on amazon:

multi pack with sticks:
just the worms:

Etarre

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In total agreement with those who have voted for letting your cat enjoy the toy that has chosen. A ArtNJ said it best:

"I think people that are anti-laser pointer are just projecting how they think a cat's mind should work on the cat. Don't project, let the cat decide. And yours has spoken loudly."

My cats have both loved the laser, and never seemed to get bored with it, unlike their other toys!